What's new

Is this normal for a router as a AI Mesh node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CIR-Engineering

Occasional Visitor
I recently setup an AI mesh system using an RT-AX3000 as the primary router and then using an XD4 Zen Mini mesh kit all as satellites:

Basically, I just want to make sure this is all OK. The backhaul is all wired.

So, the two XD4N's (nodes) added as mesh nodes to the AX3000 quickly and easily. The XD4R did not. It took me quite a while to connect it to the AX3000 as a node, and I honestly am not sure how I got it to work because I don't know what I did differently the final time. Anyway, everything seems to be working perfectly now. However, in my ASUS router app, it new shows two routers to choose from; the AX3000 and the XD4R as a "WiFi AP." Please check out the pics below. Is this normal? Also the XD4R is showing as being in "repeater mode." Normal? What I think is good is that if I put the IP address into the web GUI for the XD4R node it does redirect me to the AX3000 just as I would expect a node top do. Is repeater mode really normal and should I have two routers in the app? I did first have the XD4 kit alone before I added the AX3000.

Thanks for any information!

Kind regards,
craigr

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
The XD4R is not in the mesh. Do a hard factory reset and try again with it on WIFI only. When you connect it to Ethernet use its WAN port.

The XD4R is not in the mesh. Do a hard factory reset and try again with it on WIFI only. When you connect it to Ethernet use its WAN port.
I'll try again on WiFi only. I believe you, but why is the XD4R shown as a branch from the AX3000 in the app than?!? Also why do I get redirected to the AX3000 when I put the XD4R's IP in my browser? The XD4R is x.x.1.5 and the AX3000 is at x.x.1.1

It took forever to get it to this point!

Thanks
craigr

This is the info for the XD4R that I see in the app when I'm looking at the AX3000. I can also turn the LED on and off in the app while looking at the AX3000.

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 101
And this is what I see in the web GUI for the AX3000. Are you sure the XD4R isn't just showing up as a router to choose from in my app because I never deleted it after setting it up with the AX3000? Also, why would I get redirected to the AX3000 when I put the address for the XD4R in my browser if it's not satellite for the AX3000? The XD4R is the highlighted satellite in the screen shot below.

Thanks again,
craigr

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 129
Well I reset it and added the XD4R again as a node. This time it worked right away. I don’t know why it was so difficult the first time. Looks the same in the app though I deleted the device before adding it again.

craigr

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!