What's new

Is this normal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
When transferring data over the local network at maximum speed from my main pc to another pc through a ethernet cable it slows down my wan internet download speed ? My network is 1 Gbps.

Like for example my normal download speed is normally 900 Mbps + where when I am transferring local files over the network it drops down to 50 to 90 Mbps.

When transferring data over the local network at maximum speed from my main pc to another pc through a ethernet cable it slows down my wan internet download speed ? My network is 1 Gbps.

Like for example my normal download speed is normally 900 Mbps + where when I am transferring local files over the network it drops down to 50 to 90 Mbps.

You answered your own question. Your network is 1 Gbps. Nothing more. You only have 1gbps to work with be it internet or local LAN.

Unless you have a 2gbps or 10gbps switch and lan card then there’s an issue somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe just processor under load slowing things down ?

@ng4ever are you testing from the client devices that are doing that big transfer?

If you are not, then a solution would be to get a switch and put the most 'talkative' wired clients on it.

The rest of the network (those not using the new switch) should be able to achieve full wired speeds for you. :)

Let's talk about "pinch points". PC X is talking to PC Y over Gigabit and, lucky you, you are actually seeing Gigabit.

Now here you're less than clear. If PC X is also talking to the WAN, well, he's only a single Gigabit pipe. PC X cannot talk with two entities each at a full Gigabit as that would be two Gigabits running over a single Gigabit pipe. Gigabit is a "pinch point".

So let's add another device. PC X is talking to PC Y and ... PC Z is talking to the WAN. Two separate sets of pipes so one could well expect 1 Gig plus 1 Gig = 2 Gig. Well all those ports (e.g., 1 WAN and 4 LAN) are aggregated/connected to the router's "backplane". If the backplane is rated at 5 Gigabits you should see no slowdown. If the backplane is rated at a single Gigabit then there's your "pinch point".

With commercial products you often see the backplane specs. With consumer products I'm not seeing this spec so I'm skeptical. Does anyone know the rated backplane speeds of some of the popular consumer routers? I'm guessing since they don't brag about it then backplane bandwidth is probably a lot closer to Gigabit than five or ... even two.

If your question is just a curiosity then it is what it is. If it's an issue then L&LD offers an excellent suggestion;
... a solution would be to get a switch and put the most 'talkative' wired clients on it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!