What's new

Is this PoE Moca Filter Good to Use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kelllogg9

Occasional Visitor
Looking for an affordable PoE filter that will ALSO provide an performance boost via reflecting back the moca signal.

Brand: BELDON PPC Moca (SNLP-1GCW)

This one is only $4 (CAD) free ship, but only supports the 1125-1525Mhz range vs say the Altronix GLF-1002

what frequency range is your moca equipment using ?
Beacon Channel:1150
Primary Channel:1175
Secondary Channel:1300
First Channel:1175

Also with this filter i am eyeing help boost performance via a reflecting back of the moca signal or is that feature only for more pricey filters like the Antronix GLF-1002?

"may" provide a performance boost if the operative word in this case. The cable plant has more of an influence.

Is this an isolated, moca only, cable plant or is it sharing with cable company signal ? If yes, what are there up/down bands ?

"may" provide a performance boost if the operative word in this case. The cable plant has more of an influence.

Is this an isolated, moca only, cable plant or is it sharing with cable company signal ? If yes, what are there up/down bands ?
I get cable internet + cable tv on the coax too. I am using an 8-port dropAmp to feed the house. It's located in the basement. Currently the cable modem gets its own coax from the dropAmp, and another port (on the dropAMp) has a moca splitter (about a foot away) with one moca device (Actiontec 2.5Gbe) is about another 1 foot away from this splitter, while the other coax (from the splitter) heads to a bedroom on the top floor where the other moca device is located. I am currently not using a moca filter anywhere. The modem doesnt need a filter cuz its a docsis3.0 (max freq = 861Mhz). My dropAmp rn Reverse path range = 5 - 42 MHz which makes me think it is inadvertantly acting as a moca poe filter since it does not let out frequencies above 42Mhz outside the home.

What's the model # of your drop amp?

Absent a "PoE" MoCA filter, MoCA signals *will* escape through the input port of the amp. The spec'd frequencies just define the range for expected/tested/documented behavior; the limited range doesn't imply those are the only frequencies that can pass.

Re:
Currently the cable modem gets its own coax from the dropAmp, and another port (on the dropAMp) has a moca splitter (about a foot away) with one moca device (Actiontec 2.5Gbe) is about another 1 foot away from this splitter, while the other coax (from the splitter) heads to a bedroom on the top floor where the other moca device is located.
I take it that the near MoCA adapter is Ethernet-connected to the router, then?

Do you have or plan to have any MoCA devices elsewhere other than hanging off the ports of the secondary 2-way splitter? If not, your MoCA performance/efficiency would benefit from installing a MoCA filter directly on the input of the secondary 2-way splitter, optimizing losses between the MoCA nodes and eliminating the need for a MoCA filter at the literal point-of-entry.

What's the model # of your drop amp?
Electroline EDA FT08300

I take it that the near MoCA adapter is Ethernet-connected to the router, then?
Correct

Do you have or plan to have any MoCA devices elsewhere other than hanging off the ports of the secondary 2-way splitter? If not, your MoCA performance/efficiency would benefit from installing a MoCA filter directly on the input of the secondary 2-way splitter, optimizing losses between the MoCA nodes and eliminating the need for a MoCA filter at the literal point-of-entry.
no i dont plan to have anymore Moca devices. So i assume the PoE filter ebay link i am considering (cuz its cheap) is fine: BELDON PPC Moca (model #: SNLP-1GCW) ? I noticed tho several here seem to favor the pricier Altronix GLF-1002. From a quick look at both specs it seemed both are similar with the GLF-1002 blocking at a higher moca frequencies (2005 Mhz) vs 1525Mhz for Beldon. Also, not sure if the Altronix one is better at stopping moca signal leaks vs the Beldon tho.

So i assume the PoE filter ebay link i am considering (cuz its cheap) is fine: BELDON PPC Moca (model #: SNLP-1GCW) ? I noticed tho several here seem to favor the pricier Altronix GLF-1002. From a quick look at both specs it seemed both are similar with the GLF-1002 blocking at a higher moca frequencies (2005 Mhz) vs 1525Mhz for Beldon. Also, not sure if the Altronix one is better at stopping moca signal leaks vs the Beldon tho.
If no order has been placed, getting one explicitly spec'd for the whole of the MoCA Extended Band D frequency range would be preferable.(i.e. the Antronix GLF-1002)

As for blocking/attenuation of the MoCA signals, both appear to have the typical ~40 dB loss in the MoCA range. You could hunt for a 70 dB MoCA filter (e.g. Antronix GLF-1002B1), but 40 dB should be sufficient in your case, since any leaked signals would still face the attenuation of the drop amp before they could escape the premise.

If no order has been placed, getting one explicitly spec'd for the whole of the MoCA Extended Band D frequency range would be preferable.(i.e. the Antronix GLF-1002)

As for blocking/attenuation of the MoCA signals, both appear to have the typical ~40 dB loss in the MoCA range. You could hunt for a 70 dB MoCA filter (e.g. Antronix GLF-1002B1), but 40 dB should be sufficient in your case, since any leaked signals would still face the attenuation of the drop amp before they could escape the premise.
Much appreciated for the detailed replies! I havent ordered anything yet so i guess i will go with one of the Antronix then :)

Curious, how exactly does the reflection thing work in these filters? Is it similar to say how when water wave hits a wall it reverberate back where the wave came from? In this case, since the filter only allows a smaller frequency range through (low-pass filter?) then i figure the other higher frequencies bounce backwards, and thus this reflections acts as a performance boost to moca devices?

Curious, how exactly does the reflection thing work in these filters? Is it similar to say how when water wave hits a wall it reverberate back where the wave came from? In this case, since the filter only allows a smaller frequency range through (low-pass filter?) then i figure the other higher frequencies bounce backwards, and thus this reflections acts as a performance boost to moca devices?
Effectively, yes.