What's new

Is UPnP disabled when you put an ASUS router in Access Point mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

road hazard

Regular Contributor
I'm gearing up to put my AX86U into Access Point mode and installing OPNSense on an old server to act as a firewall/router. Just trying to get ahead of any potential problems and I stumbled across this post on Reddit and that got me wondering.... is UPnP disabled when an ASUS router is switched to AP mode? Sure, they're using pfSense but this is more about how a router behaves when in AP mode.

In that post, they were using a Netgear router and in one of the replies, somebody with an ASUS router said that they switched over to AP mode and had no problem. Yes, I could just do the cut over and see for myself but I always like to do some research before doing major network changes like this so I know to take corrective steps and avoid unnecessary downtime. :)

UPnP doesn't run on APs. UPnP needs to run on the router.

Hopefully that is true in ASUSs' case but on that Reddit post, it sounded like Netgear routers that are in AP mode might still have UPnP running?! But, I'm not using Netgear so I guess I'll proceed. Thanks for the reply!

Hopefully that is true in ASUSs' case but on that Reddit post, it sounded like Netgear routers that are in AP mode might still have UPnP running?! But, I'm not using Netgear so I guess I'll proceed. Thanks for the reply!

Even if it was running it wouldn't do anything. AP is just a switch effectively, there is no NAT or need to open ports.