What's new

Wireguard Is Wireguard available on AC86u on merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASadani

Hi All,

I'm a bit confused. Did wireguard get ported to the latest merlin firmware for the AC86u? I had tested it on the AX88U and it worked well. but I want to use it on the 86u

For HND routers (Im not familier with AC86u - not sure it’s HND) running the latest 386.4 betas (2 or 3), the kernel module (wireguard.ko) and the application “wg” are now installed.
There is no wq-quick installed. There is one available in Entware.

Hi All,

I'm a bit confused. Did wireguard get ported to the latest merlin firmware for the AC86u? I had tested it on the AX88U and it worked well. but I want to use it on the 86u
@RMerlin recently included the necessary WireGuard Kernel/User Space Tools modules in the v386.4 Beta firmware for supported models

i.e. RT-AC86U
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> ?

Router RT-AC86U Firmware (v3.0.0.4.386.4_beta1)

[✔] Entware Architecture arch=aarch64

v4.14b5 WireGuard Session Manager (Change Log: https://github.com/MartineauUK/wireguard/commits/dev/wg_manager.sh)
    MD5=f455fb242431f903599e7930858220c6 /jffs/addons/wireguard/wg_manager.sh

[✔] WireGuard Kernel module/User Space Tools included in Firmware (1.0.20210124)
although 3rd-Party (compatible Entware .ipk packaged) modules have been available since May 2021, and more recently @ZebMcKayhan has compiled Dec. 2021 versions to override the Jan. 2021 firmware versions as currently used by ASUS in their RC-3 Beta.

However, currently, there is no GUI in the @RMerlin Firmware to create/configure/manage the WireGuard interfaces; you will need to use a custom script.

Last edited:
@RMerlin recently included the necessary WireGuard Kernel/User Space Tools modules in the v386.4 Beta firmware for supported models

i.e. RT-AC86U
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> ?

Router RT-AC86U Firmware (v3.0.0.4.386.4_beta1)

[✔] Entware Architecture arch=aarch64

v4.14b5 WireGuard Session Manager (Change Log: https://github.com/MartineauUK/wireguard/commits/dev/wg_manager.sh)
    MD5=f455fb242431f903599e7930858220c6 /jffs/addons/wireguard/wg_manager.sh

[✔] WireGuard Kernel module/User Space Tools included in Firmware (1.0.20210124)
although 3rd-Party (compatible Entware .ipk packaged) modules have been available since May 2021, and more recently @ZebMcKayhan has compiled Dec. 2021 versions to override the Jan. 2021 firmware versions as currently used by ASUS in their RC-3 Beta.

However, currently, there is no GUI in the @RMerlin Firmware to create/configure/manage the WireGuard interfaces; you will need to use a custom script.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Any ETA as to when the gui be ported. Or is there a sample script that can be put in the init start to activate the wireguard interface?

is there a sample script that can be put in the init start to activate the wireguard interface?
This script should get you started....

and if you decide to use it you can post queries/bugs in this thread

This script should get you started....

and if you decide to use it you can post queries/bugs in this thread

Thanks Martineau. I'll give it a go in a day or two

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!