What's new

Isn't initializing search for AiMesh nodes supposed to show up in the system log?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kenme73

New Around Here
Hi All. I bought two RT-AC68U routers and flashed the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.384_21140-ge07a2dd). Followed the official ASUS AiMesh set up guide but i simply can't get router to find the node.
I've literally tried every tip i can find and spent well over 20 hours trying to get this to work but with no success whatsoever.

However I've noticed something in the system log, or actually the lack of something (I think). Isn't there suppose to be any entries in the log when the router starts to search for the node? Can it be so that the search that's initialized via the browser (Chrome or Explorer) doesn't start he search? I do however get the timeout message with the popup telling me that the router wasn't able to find any AiMesh node.

What to do? Revert to an older firmware or wait for a never? Has anybody successfully been able to set up an AiMesh network with only two RT-AC68U on the 21140 firmware?

edit - Clarified my question regarding using only RT-AC68U units in a AiMEsh network

Last edited:
Hi All. I bought two RT-AC68U routers and flashed the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.384_21140-ge07a2dd). Followed the official ASUS AiMesh set up guide but i simply can't get router to find the node.
I've literally tried every tip i can find and spent well over 20 hours trying to get this to work but with no success whatsoever.

However i've noticed something in the system log, or actually the lack of something (I think). Isn't there suppose to be any entries in the log when the router starts to search for the node? Can it be so that the search that's initialized via the browser (Chrome or Explorer) doesn't start he search? I do however get the timeout message with the popup telling me that the router wasn't able to find any AiMesh node.

What to do? Revert to an older firmware or wait for a never? Has anybody successfully been able to set up an AiMesh network with two RT-AC68U on the 21140 firmware?
replied you on different thread
assuming you weren't buying TM-AC1900 converts,
First, try swap the router, it sometimes help.
If it doesn't and similar to what I experiencing (ai-mesh compatibility issue), you will need to downgrade the firmware.

The firmware 3.0.0.4.384.20308 is the only one that allow the detection and success pair for ai-mesh for my case.

While the work around works, this was the conclusion with the amount of the data I was able to provide.
Thanks for your information.
Have checked internally, your RT-AC68R gets something wrong and it needs ASUS RMA procedure.
Please contact ASUS call center to do RMA. Thanks!

unfortunately, it's way pass the warranty (5 year since i bought it, I think) for me, so I would have to pay some 200+ bux if I want to fix it once and for all.
But since you have just bought it, return/replace them if you can.

Thank you for the reply. No they are brand new units H-W E1 and I've tried to swap the routers with no luck. I will revert to the suggested firmware tomorrow and see if i have any success.

Has anybody successfully been able to set up an AiMesh network with two RT-AC68U on the 21140 firmware?

Yes, I have, just set mine up last week. Well, both are nodes.

Several notes.
1. I had better results by placing the 68u 10-12' from my router on my desk. Across the room, from my router a 5300
2. I plug in the 68u and immediately do a reset with it on my desk. * In my trials, this must be done, configuring anything may cause the 68u not to appear. I actually had better results using the power on and holding the WPS button for my reset vs using the rear button. YMMV (You mileage may vary).
3. Click scan after you reset, and I usually tried to do it just before I though it (68u) was going to come on line. I ended up clicking it a few times to get it to work.

* mine are HW b1, If I recall correctly.

Thank you for your reply. I'll try this when i get back from work today. Also i will edit my question the starting post to "Has anybody successfully been able to set up an AiMesh network with JUST two RT-AC68U on the 21140 firmware?" Is the RT-AC68U capable of acting as a AiMesh router if the node/nodes are only RT-AC68U units when on the 21140 firmware?

yes it works with only 2 RT-AC68U and last firm 21140.
Do they have both same region-code settings?
Telnet or SSH to both units and enter command: nvram show | grep -E 'ccode|regrev|regulation|wl[0-9]_country|wl[0-9]_reg_mode' | sort
Dont place them too far or to close together, 5m maybe fine.
Use fix channels 1+36 for pairing.
Turn off Airtime fairness.
Remove EVERY other connection LAN and USB and better modem too, connect only parent LAN to node WAN port and PC/laptop via WiFi.
Both factory with initialize and additional with WPS button while power on and holding 20s longer.
Setup one as main router with minimal settings (mostly default), ch. 1+36, Airtime off.
Then turn on second and choose aimesh-node mode and run pairing on first.
To do so you will have to change Wifi connection according which device you want to access.

Ok so i tried both @indark @HuskyHerder and @Grisu tips without any success. Went back to the store with both my RT-AC68U units and got a good deal on a demo RT-AC88U router. And the storekeeper let me keep both RT-AC68U units to find out witch one was faulty one and then just return that unit. Came home updated the RT-AC88U to the latest firmware connected everything (LAN cables and my fiber converter) and ran the setup wizard. Did a factory reset on both RT-AC68U units and then ran the AiMesh search function and one of the RT-AC68U units showed up as a AiMesh node. So one of the RT-AC68U units were faulty right out of the box, though i haven't found any other function that the "faulty" unit cant handle. Since i don't need to return th faulty RT-AC68U until next week i will conduct some more testing and see if i somehow can get it to work as a AiMesh node.

Anyhow thank you everybody for your support!

Ps. And to answer the question in the topic: No, there is no entries in the log when the router starts an AiMesh search.

Last edited:
Ok so i tried both @indark @HuskyHerder and @Grisu tips without any success. Went back to the store with both my RT-AC68U units and got a good deal on a demo RT-AC88U router. And the storekeeper let me keep both RT-AC68U units to find out witch one was faulty one and then just return that unit. Came home updated the RT-AC88U to the latest firmware connected everything (LAN cables and my fiber converter) and ran the setup wizard. Did a factory reset on both RT-AC68U units and then ran the AiMesh search function and one of the RT-AC68U units showed up as a AiMesh node. So one of the RT-AC68U units were faulty right out of the box, though i haven't found any other function that the "faulty" unit cant handle. Since i don't need to return th faulty RT-AC68U until next week i will conduct some more testing and see if i somehow can get it to work as a AiMesh node.

Anyhow thank you everybody for your support!

Ps. And to answer the question in the topic: No, there is no entries in the log when the router starts an AiMesh search.

Could you send your email for me by PM (Conversations) ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!