1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Isolate VPN client machines?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by John Wentworth, May 26, 2020.

1. John Wentworth

John Wentworth New Around Here

I have a openvpn client configured and I enable devices using policy based routing. Is it possible too isolate those machines from the rest of my lan, so they don't see the machines not connected to the VPN?

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

No, unless they are on wifi, in which case you could use a Guest Network, and set it to disable Intranet access to connected clients.

3. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Part of the Furniture

As Merlin explained guest networks work for WiFi clients only but by using an inexpensive smart switch you can easily setup VLANs which depending on your network topology might accomplish what you want.

4. John Wentworth

John Wentworth New Around Here

Thanks so much guys, it's a smart TV connected via WiFi. I already have a guest Network setup like that for random people in my home. Never occurred to me, such a simple solution.

And thanks RMerlin for the awesome firmware I've been using it since I got my ac68u. It's Rick solid and has great extra features. I really appreciate the hard work you do.