What's new

Isolating ASUS tablet speed deficiency on 5GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
I'm on Merlin's 384.6.
Everything running great except my ASUS 3S 10 Tab is giving 10% of the download speed vs. my other 5GHz clients.

I confirmed that the tablet was giving better performance in the 100+ range when I was out of town @ a hotel using their WiFi this weekend.

What can I check on the router side to narrow down this issue?

I'm on Merlin's 384.6.
Everything running great except my ASUS 3S 10 Tab is giving 10% of the download speed vs. my other 5GHz clients.

I confirmed that the tablet was giving better performance in the 100+ range when I was out of town @ a hotel using their WiFi this weekend.

What can I check on the router side to narrow down this issue?

Try using a lower channel number (like 36). My own Zenpad 3S was highly unstable on wifi while using channel 157. Crappy Mediatek chipset.

Try using a lower channel number (like 36). My own Zenpad 3S was highly unstable on wifi while using channel 157. Crappy Mediatek chipset.

I was originally on the 161 channel - so I tried 48 & then 36 but no improvements.
Will try all the channels...Should I reboot router after each change?

I was originally on the 161 channel - so I tried 48 & then 36 but no improvements.
Will try all the channels...Should I reboot router after each change?

No need to, if 48 has issues, then 36 would most likely be identical. The important test was to use a channel from that lower band.

No need to reboot, the wireless subsystem restarts itself when you change channels.

Try all the usual recommendations then - disabling beamforming, airtime fairness, etc...

No need to, if 48 has issues, then 36 would most likely be identical. The important test was to use a channel from that lower band.

No need to reboot, the wireless subsystem restarts itself when you change channels.

Try all the usual recommendations then - disabling beamforming, airtime fairness, etc...

Gotcha. Thanks will try.
I actually do like this tab a lot. Only the 5GHz speed is the anomaly.

Gotcha. Thanks will try.
I actually do like this tab a lot. Only the 5GHz speed is the anomaly.

Fairly happy with my Zenpad 3S 8 myself. I preferred the 4:3 format since I use it a lot for ebook reading. CPU is fairly speedy, my main issue is the crappy wifi it has (even my older Nexus 9 had dual stream support, this one is single stream only). And that its fingerprint reader died after about three weeks, had to RMA it to Asus.