What's new

ISP based Dual NAT AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

canuckle

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

We've just relocated to a new area of Canada, and our new ISP is Bell (fibre). The supplied modem serves several functions, including FibeTV and VOiP.

I'm trying to find a solution to resolve the dual NAT issue, that doesn't include bridging the ISP modem (not sure they will even do it). I've tried forwarding ports on the ISP router to the ASUS (AC68U), but still can't see the port. I have decent knowledge of the basics, but still learning and a little unsure of myself. In my previous setup we simply bridged the ISP modem and had no issues.

And help advice appreciated, I'm sure this is basic level stuff to most of you, lol.

Thanks!
Mike

Hi all,

We've just relocated to a new area of Canada, and our new ISP is Bell (fibre). The supplied modem serves several functions, including FibeTV and VOiP.

I'm trying to find a solution to resolve the dual NAT issue, that doesn't include bridging the ISP modem (not sure they will even do it). I've tried forwarding ports on the ISP router to the ASUS (AC68U), but still can't see the port. I have decent knowledge of the basics, but still learning and a little unsure of myself. In my previous setup we simply bridged the ISP modem and had no issues.

And help advice appreciated, I'm sure this is basic level stuff to most of you, lol.

Thanks!
Mike
I have a similar situation, I say similar as I do not have Voip. You could get the needed vlan information and replace the ISP router with a switch.

I have a similar situation, I say similar as I do not have Voip. You could get the needed vlan information and replace the ISP router with a switch.
This is what you were referring to very recently - the role if the 5-port switch between your router and the ONT.

This is what you were referring to very recently - the role if the 5-port switch between your router and the ONT.
Yes, it has proven to be a good move, as my modem (an Actiontec V1000H) is a POS, I was happy it all worked out. The switch is way more dependable than the modem/router.

@canuckle have a look at the following thread to replace / remove the HH3000. Basically you replace the HH3000 with a fibre to ethernet adapter and connect that adapter to your router. You will need the login and vlan details from what I remember of that thread. This solution works if you're running the gigabit service:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31118482-Yes-you-CAN-bypass-the-HomeHub-3000

As shown on page two of that thread a TP-Link MC220L Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter is used:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/accessory/mc220l/

If you're running the 1.5 Gigabit service, it becomes more complicated. This might only be a stopgap measure until Bell announces how its going to provide 5 Gb/s service and what equipment it intends to use:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r3...-the-HH3K-up-to-2-5Gbps-using-a-BCM57810S-NIC

Last edited:
What is the "issue" you have?

Access to ports that were easily forwarded with a bridged modem, for one. Forwarding modem ports to the router hasn't been working, although I'm going to spend some time on it. I have a Synology NAS that is able to deal with it for some apps, not others. The ASUS router won't resolve the DDNS. etc.

So first thank you everyone for the input so far, like I said I'm decent at the basics, but I have a lot to learn (which was painfully obvious reading skeal's thread, lol).

I think I should back up and be more complete with the setup. First, the ISP. Bell, through the HH3000 supplies Fibre Internet (500/500), TV, and VOiP. One of the factors at play is that if you want to use the Fibe app or Browser (Safari) to watch the service instead of the pvr, you have to be on their WiFi. My first thought was to see if it was possible to designate one LAN port on the HH3000 at bridged, which I could connect to the 68U and carry on. I could hear the deer caught in headlights look on the Bell guys face when I called to ask that question. I don't think the modem can simply be bridged as I'm not sure the rest of the services would continued to work in that situation, but I'd be interested to know the answer to that if anyone knows.

Here's the topography I would like to have (which is how I was set up out west):

For wifi
Modem>>AC68U>>WIFI Clients

for LAN
Modem>>AC68U>>Managed switch(GS108)>>LAN Clients (NAS, iMac, XBOX, etc)

I have port forwards set up in the AC68 for the NAS, XBOX, etc. They're just not working well with the lack of a public IP.

So far I've given the AC68 a static IP on the HH3000, forwarded ports from the HH3000 to the AC68, but no love. Still can't see the ports. Some work (Synology Finder App for one) but others don't. My point is everything worked perfectly with a bridged modem.

I won't pretend to understand everything skeal wrote in his thread, but I'm interested in learning and finding a solution.

Thanks for reading, this is truly a great community!
Mike

Are you really still running firmware version 378.51 as you signature suggests? :eek:
Actually no, but I am behind. Our move has been a bit of a gong show, and I haven't had my setup going for over a year. Now that you've publicly shamed me though, I better make it my next priority, lol :(

Updated ;)

Last edited:
:)

If you were coming from a significantly older release it would be advisable to now perform a factory reset followed by a manual configuration (i.e. don't reload a saved settings file). Who knows, it might even fix some of the issues you've been experiencing?

:)

If you were coming from a significantly older release it would be advisable to now perform a factory reset followed by a manual configuration (i.e. don't reload a saved settings file). Who knows, it might even fix some of the issues you've been experiencing?

While I'd love to see a simple reset solve the double NAT issue, sadly I know it won't. Not to say it isn't a good idea, and I will certainly do that, but I ran into the NAT issue before and the simple solution was to bridge the ISP modem. When the ISP is Bell however, nothing is simple, lol.

While I'd love to see a simple reset solve the double NAT issue, sadly I know it won't. Not to say it isn't a good idea, and I will certainly do that, but I ran into the NAT issue before and the simple solution was to bridge the ISP modem. When the ISP is Bell however, nothing is simple, lol

Been a long time since I worked with folks out of Bell Canada, but perhaps one is running into a CGNat situation for IPv4...

If your WAN addr falls into the 100.64.0.0/10, you are CG Nat'ed... That being said - happy eyeballs, look to IPv6 for apps...

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6555

some clients - like TV Boxes, Game Consoles, and older desktops - they're a bit brain dead, and that also goes to many consumer Router/AP's...