What's new

Isp device Setup advice.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TrebleTA

I've had some problems with my DSL AX82U. So now need to change my setup so I use my isp device as the modem and the asus as my router. So after some advice.

On the sky hub:
Just need to check am doing correctly. On my sky hub I disable wifi, disable dchp and assign it a ip address (192.168.1.2) for access also disable firewall and connect cable to port 1?

On the asus router
Connect cable to WAN port.
Make sure dchp is in the above range. Done?

I don't know what exactly you are trying to do, if you want to put your ISP device and Asus router on the same subnet you should use the Asus router's AP mode.
Or you're just avoiding double NAT, then you should see if the ISP device supports bridge mode, or put it in router mode, but turn on the DMZ for the Asus router.

But turning off firewall and DHCP is always not needed in my opinion.

On the sky hub there is no bridge mode, yet want to try so I want to use that as just a modem and my asus as a router doing all the work.

If there is no bridge mode there, then no matter how you set it up, it won't be just a modem, which means there will be double NATs and they'll be doing duplicate work.

If you still want the Asus router to do its job as a router, you just need to put it in router mode, but to reduce any adverse effects that double NAT might have, enable the DMZ in the Sky hub, and add the Asus router's IP address (as defined by DHCP assignment from the Sky hub).

Also, please don't turn off any device's firewall, because Skyhub is the unavoidable main router and you wouldn't want someone hacking into that router.

On the sky hub there is no bridge mode, yet want to try so I want to use that as just a modem and my asus as a router doing all the work.
Why not just purchase a Vigor 130? That is just a modem. Your way is too complicated and will probably cause more headaches than needed

You can just disable the DSL functionality in the Asus too.

All you need is a vigor - asus. Asus WAN port to the modem, and set up DHCP-OPTION 61 in the Asus.

As sky have changed something so my dsl asus ax82u is not working correctly. Since they started running FTTP cables. My 3rd party device loses dsl speed slowly compared to the isp device that increases back up higher and settles. So want to use the ISP device were poss.

As sky have changed something so my dsl asus ax82u is not working correctly. Since they started running FTTP cables. My 3rd party device loses dsl speed slowly compared to the isp device that increases back up higher and settles
FTTC should be unaffected. Just purchase an Vigor 130 off Amazon and if it doesn't do the job send it back.

FTTP shouldn't be affecting FTTC. I know the DSL modem in an Asus is crap as soon as I put a 3rd party modem it was more stable and faster, plus if you keep doing restarts on FTTC on Sky it will trigger DLM and slow your connection down.

I have contacted asus about this, so for now you can see what I'm trying to do plus keep there device connected so they can test and be happy. Once sorted will return to my old setup

If a reboot fixes the slowdown, you might consider emailing Asus' tech support. If it's an ISP's problem, there's nothing Asus can do :rolleyes:

Also In the next 6-8 months once my contract done will have FTTP in my area setup so will get that but not with sky bb.

Rebooting my asus router speeds drop or stay slower, yet have not rebooted in a day or 2. Since swaping cables and wall master sockets etc.

As others have said probably better to buy a Vigor 130 and just sell it on again when you switch to FTTP.

I've recently switched actually so keep an eye on eBay for mine!

Not intrested in that, I would be in the same boat.....
No you wouldn't. Putting two routers together regardless if you put in DMZ you will still get double NAT, creating more work for yourself that's needed. If you're not prepared try other options then my friend you're clearly stuck. What I told you before would solve your problem and if it didn't you can send the modem back if you buy off Amazon.

If you're not prepared to facilitate change then stick with your current setup and issue and wait for the FTTP option. FTTP installs do not affect FTTC.

You'll find your issue to be with digital line management, where by your line speed is reduced for stability for the FTTC because asus internal modems aren't RELIABLE and cause headaches. I've had enough experience with them to get a dedicated modem and solved my issue, however I ditched Sky for Virgin.

All you need is a dedicated decent modem such as the Vigor 130 and your problems would be solved, very reliable and you'll probably find your line speeds will increase, all you'd do is keep the dedicated modem on for 2 weeks for the line to readjust hopefully improving speeds.

Google digital line management that will answer your issues, imposed on all UK FTTC products.

Sky's FTTP is different uses Fibre and it doesn't care how many times you reset the ONT, Sky router it synced at the speed you're tiered on.

Last edited:
As I said I need to use the ISP device due to problems on the dsl line, so getting another 3rd party device, Is not going sort my issule and would end up in the same boat.

The Asus DSL AX82U worked fine but in the last month or so I've got the problems I'm having, so need to use there device for at least a month or 2 untill sorted etc.

And £200 for a modern, no thank you

As others have said the VDSL modems are usually not especially good in Asus routers. I had a DSL-AC68U which caused endless problems until I swapped for a Vigor 130.
They cost like £80, not £200. Probably a lot less if you go for a used model.
They work flawlessly with all UK FTTC connections, so really not sure what you're getting at here I'm afraid.
By all means carry on trying what you're trying to do, though. If you don't want to spend another penny (understandable), then I would probably suck it up and either fully use the Sky router until you can get FTTP, or disable WiFi on it and use the Asus in AP mode.

Hi thanks for the reply, i do appreciate it, the isp want theres connected for testing the line and seeing what they want to see.

I looked online for the vigor 130 but there all marked at £199 on amazon yet my local PC shop there £80 strange