What's new

ISP Fibre router Lan DHCP Issue Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fozzie bear

Occasional Visitor
I am in the UK and have 50Mp synchronous FTTP with a company called Gigaclear. They supply a basic Genexis DRGOS HRG1000 Fibre router. The Wi-Fi from this is rubbish so I now have three TP-Link EAP245’s covering my property which give excellent Wi-Fi coverage.

My problem is with DHCP. I have recently had several power outages (some self-inflicted where the ELCB has tripped) and it takes ages, sometimes over an hour before DHCP clients can re-connect to the internet.

I have a number of critical devices such as servers and workstations along with CCTV cameras and my EAP245 AP’s which I have assigned static IP addresses. These connect to the internet as soon as the router has rebooted and synced but Wi-Fi devices like Amazon Echo’s, Wi-Fi smart switches and Roku/Firestick streaming devices which rely on DHCP do not connect.
Sometimes hard rebooting the router works but others I just have to wait. My DHCP scope is XXX.XXX.XXX.2 -199 with the remaining wired devices at the upper end of the scope.

1. Firstly is the scope too limited at 198 IP addresses available? I could move some of the static IPs up the scope further to add a few more allocations but I dont think this is the problem. I believe it is more the DHCP server capability.
  2. Secondly would I be better getting my own router and getting Gigaclear to put my router in bridged mode?
If so I was thinking of the TP-Link ER605 which has 4 gigabit ports one of which will uplink to my 24 port switch and the second to the EAP245 gigabit POE switch. I have also read good reviews on Mikrotik hEX S but the Router OS is a bit difficult to navigate.

Really all I need is a reliable wired router with robust DHCP server and the ability to assign static IPs and some basic port forwarding for Plex, my CCTV system and some smart home kit. Open VPN support would also be a nice to have.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these two routers or other sub £100 routers that would fit my bill?

Fozzie