What's new

ISP IPV6 possible issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasons6930

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Further to my previous thread about trying to set up my edgerouter with static IPv6 info from my ISP, i thought i would swap that out and replace it with a Draytek i have, which enables easy entering of the relevant info.

Now, this seems to be up and running, and im getting addresses from it via Stateful DHCPv6.

However, clients are sill not seeing the internet via ipv6!

If i try to traceroute SNB forums (2606:4700:20::681b:7e61) from my laptop, i get...

traceroute6 to www.snbforums.com (2606:4700:20::681b:7f61) from fdff:8ff3:1a1c:1:5ccd:7e58:d612:ace3, 64 hops max, 12 byte packets

1 * * *

2 * * *

3 * * *

4 * * *

5 *

However if i ping the IPV6 for SNB via the Draytek, i get..

Pinging 2606:4700:20::681b:7e61 with 64 bytes of Data:
Receive reply from 2606:4700:20::681B:7E61, time=<1ms
Packets: Sent = 5, Received = 5, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Is it a possible issue with the ISP?

Your trace indicates that your laptop hasn't a routable IPv6. Check your router settings, look for DHCP PD or similar. Your router gets an IPv6 for itself but doesn't seem to obtain and/or assign IPv6 addresses to the LAN devices.

Your trace indicates that your laptop hasn't a routable IPv6. Check your router settings, look for DHCP PD or similar. Your router gets an IPv6 for itself but doesn't seem to obtain and/or assign IPv6 addresses to the LAN devices.
Ok i think i have found it and it seems to be enabled?

Last edited:
Ok i think i have found it and enabled it but have no idea what to put in the boxes?

You're not supposed to manually fill the prefix, it should be retrieved and done automatically. Either there's something else still missing in your router setup or your ISP isn't giving you an IPv6 prefix. Check your router's settings, I can't be really more specific as I'm not familiar with your router brand.

You're not supposed to manually fill the prefix, it should be retrieved and done automatically. Either there's something else still missing in your router setup or your ISP isn't giving you an IPv6 prefix. Check your router's settings, I can't be really more specific as I'm not familiar with your router brand.

Sorry, my bad, i was looking at the wrong network, so i have edited my post above with the correct screenshot.

But fair enough.

Thanks anyway.

:)

Ok as a bit of an update,

Rather than set my WAN for Static and inputting the ipv6 info, i have set it for DHCPv6 client on the wan side and it has connected as before and pulled the ipv6 down from my ISP, however, I have now got an ipv6 in the DHCPv6 pool on the router and an address on my laptop, but i am still not able to get out to the net or ping ipv6 google.com, even directly from the router.