What's new

ISP needs 2 PPPoE sessions one ipv4 another ipv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OmniWired

New Around Here
Hello everyone:

This is a weird requirement of and ICP: OCN Japan, that in order to use IPv6 another PPPoE session is required. To be more clear: 1 for ipv4 and another for ipv6.

The current webUI only allows one at a time, can someone point me at where are the config files stored.

And what are my options to do this?

I found online https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/tree/master/release/src/router/rp-pppoe maybe I can use this, since is already in the router?

Thanks

Hey OmniWired, looks like I have the same problem: the Italian telco/ISP TIM (formerly Telecom Italia) supports IPv6, but apparently does not provide IPv4 transport to those who use this option. Did you find a way to make this work? (TIM's PPPoE session does furnish an IPv4 address along IPv6, so maybe there's another issue I haven't identifed. I'm an old [literally] IP network engineer, but brand new to Merlin, so there's a lot still to learn.)

A brief experiment today shows I can open a 2nd PPPoE session for IPv4 over the same ADSL link, but I have been unable to prove the concept because some component of Merlin (as yet unidentified) rapidly restores default IPv4 routes when I alter them to make use of the 2nd PPPoE IPv4 interface. Unless you've found a better solution, I'll investigate tweaking the Dual WAN - Load Balance configuration to support this requirement.

Hey OmniWired, looks like I have the same problem: the Italian telco/ISP TIM (formerly Telecom Italia) supports IPv6, but apparently does not provide IPv4 transport to those who use this option. Did you find a way to make this work? (TIM's PPPoE session does furnish an IPv4 address along IPv6, so maybe there's another issue I haven't identifed. I'm an old [literally] IP network engineer, but brand new to Merlin, so there's a lot still to learn.)

A brief experiment today shows I can open a 2nd PPPoE session for IPv4 over the same ADSL link, but I have been unable to prove the concept because some component of Merlin (as yet unidentified) rapidly restores default IPv4 routes when I alter them to make use of the 2nd PPPoE IPv4 interface. Unless you've found a better solution, I'll investigate tweaking the Dual WAN - Load Balance configuration to support this requirement.

Where you able to find a solution? I have exactly the same issue.