Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ISP needs 2 PPPoE sessions one ipv4 another ipv6

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by OmniWired, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OmniWired

OmniWired New Around Here

Hello everyone:

This is a weird requirement of and ICP: OCN Japan, that in order to use IPv6 another PPPoE session is required. To be more clear: 1 for ipv4 and another for ipv6.

The current webUI only allows one at a time, can someone point me at where are the config files stored.

And what are my options to do this?

I found online https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/tree/master/release/src/router/rp-pppoe maybe I can use this, since is already in the router?

Thanks

2. ItaloBill

ItaloBill New Around Here

Hey OmniWired, looks like I have the same problem: the Italian telco/ISP TIM (formerly Telecom Italia) supports IPv6, but apparently does not provide IPv4 transport to those who use this option. Did you find a way to make this work? (TIM's PPPoE session does furnish an IPv4 address along IPv6, so maybe there's another issue I haven't identifed. I'm an old [literally] IP network engineer, but brand new to Merlin, so there's a lot still to learn.)

A brief experiment today shows I can open a 2nd PPPoE session for IPv4 over the same ADSL link, but I have been unable to prove the concept because some component of Merlin (as yet unidentified) rapidly restores default IPv4 routes when I alter them to make use of the 2nd PPPoE IPv4 interface. Unless you've found a better solution, I'll investigate tweaking the Dual WAN - Load Balance configuration to support this requirement.