What's new

[Issue] USB Drive - Read Only after some days

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sentinelvdx

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I've noticed the USB drive I use for AB-Solution and other stuff became read-only after days or weeks.
I don't know why this behavior, and don't know how to make it RW again without resetting the whole config of the router.

Any help?

Thanks,

How are you determining that it is read only? From the router's command line the partitions have been re-mounted R/O? Via Samba where some shares are R/O for certain users?

How are you determining that it is read only? From the router's command line the partitions have been re-mounted R/O? Via Samba where some shares are R/O for certain users?

It first started when I tried to update host's files from AB-Solution, that ssh told me it was unable to write on the drive.
I decided to format and reinstall the whole solution and again it was telling me it was unable to write...

I decided to format it on my pc with easeus partition, which I did, but after re-connecting it again and trying to do the whole installation again, I receive the same error.
Rebooting router didn't help.
The last time I had to hw reset the whole router... which I hated that, and there it led me write again on the drive.

Hi,

I've noticed the USB drive I use for AB-Solution and other stuff became read-only after days or weeks.
I don't know why this behavior, and don't know how to make it RW again without resetting the whole config of the router.

Any help?

Thanks,
Could be usb stick failure. There is a pre-mount file checker available to check that drive at boot.

There should be messages in the router's syslog showing you why the USB drive is R/O.

The file checker script can be found here.
Code:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ntfs-disk-log-errors.41218/#post-359955

There should be messages in the router's syslog showing you why the USB drive is R/O.

Yes, in fact, last night my syslog server started to be flooded with it because of the read-only thing:

Server Name: rt-ac88u.homegroup
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Date/Time: Mar 5 00:23:07

EXT2-fs (sda): error: remounting filesystem read-only

--

Server Name: rt-ac88u.homegroup
Date/Time: Mar 5 00:23:07

EXT2-fs (sda): error: ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 2154679948, count = 1

--
Server Name: 192.168.1.1
Date/Time: Mar 5 00:47:11

FAILED to start up
--
Server Name: 192.168.1.1
Date/Time: Mar 5 00:46:11

cannot open log /tmp/mnt/JFFS/adblocking/logs/
dnsmasq.log: Read-only file system

Could be usb stick failure. There is a pre-mount file checker available to check that drive at boot.

Yes, in fact I ran it twice, once as soon as the issue appeared, and gave me an error message, I then took it to my PC, did a full sector scan and it was ok based on it...
I'm now using another usb drive to see what happens.

You need to look for messages before this one to try and understand why it is remounting the filesystem.
Yes, bad thing is I stopped syslog server on my NAS so after rebooting the router I've lost those.
I'll see what happens with this USB drive and have enabled back again the syslog server to see how it behaves

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

Yes, bad thing is I stopped syslog server on my NAS so after rebooting the router I've lost those.
I'll see what happens with this USB drive and have enabled back again the syslog server to see how it behaves

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

Did you dins any solutions? I have the same issue tried with 4 different usbs with and without swap on ext3, randomly after a few says it would get super hot then everything turns read only