What's new

[Issue] USB Tethering Not Working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sentinelvdx

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I'm using 384.16 on my AC88U with dual WAN setup.
The issue is that my Android phone is not providing an IP (or at least is what router says... like DHCP does not function properly).
In USB settings I can't assign manually an IP, so I'm stuck here

Any help is appreciated.
I'm using an S9 Plus with Android 10 with USB Tethering enabled on.

Last edited:
There's not even a wiki page you can reference. Someone needs to change that when they have the time.
have you tried looking on YouTube?

Not yet, just google a bit.
But maybe someone here can help me to at least setup a static IP for USB using SSH

I think it's as easy as logging into the GUI in a browser, and on the first page that comes up, Network map, go click on View List under Clients.
Your phone should be on that list; just click on the black DHCP icon to change it to Static.

I think it's as easy as logging into the GUI in a browser, and on the first page that comes up, Network map, go click on View List under Clients.
Your phone should be on that list; just click on the black DHCP icon to change it to Static.

I'm not looking to assign my phone an IP, I'm looking on letting my phone assign an IP to the USB WAN inteface of the router to use my phone as modem.
But for some reason the router considers the phone is not giving him an IP.

Where it says disconnected, when you connect the phone it'll say "Your ISP's DHCP does not work properly"
JATYIHJ.jpg

Last edited:
You see where it says USB 3.0 above SMI USB DISK? The router hasn’t detected your phone.

Edit:

Post a screen shot of WAN - Dual WAN settings.

Last edited:
You see where it says USB 3.0 above SMI USB DISK? The router hasn’t detected your phone.

Edit:

Post a screen shot of WAN - Dual WAN settings.
I was using my phone so I did a screenshot just to show him what I was talking about.

Here's what you get when I try to do Dual WAN Failover
xdxc9Qn.jpg

Here you don't have too much to config... you can't even set the TTL value manually
3Kfctjn.jpg

Have you looked at the page "USB Application|Internet Connection"?

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030649/
Nope, sadly that doesn't work either now. It used to work

---

Ok, apparently I'm not the only one because there's a thread regarding this issue...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...or-isps-dhcp-did-not-function-properly.61907/

Last edited:
For test purposes.

1. Unplug lan cable from WAN.
2. Go to Dual Wan Settings. Disable Dual Wan and underneath it select Primary WAN as USB. Apply settings
3. Go back to First WAN Internet Connection Tab. You should see Enable USB Mode. Turn it On if its not on. Apply settings.
4. Now you should see Select USB Device - You'll have an option to USB or Android. Select one at a time, and leave everything else on Auto. Apply settings. While the phone is connected to the router and the tethering is turned On.
5. If USB setting doesn't work and you get same error message. Reboot the router.
6. If you still get same message, elect Android. Apply settings and reboot the router.

Have you looked at the page "USB Application|Internet Connection"?

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030649/
For test purposes.

1. Unplug lan cable from WAN.
2. Go to Dual Wan Settings. Disable Dual Wan and underneath it select Primary WAN as USB. Apply settings
3. Go back to First WAN Internet Connection Tab. You should see Enable USB Mode. Turn it On if its not on. Apply settings.
4. Now you should see Select USB Device - You'll have an option to USB or Android. Select one at a time, and leave everything else on Auto. Apply settings. While the phone is connected to the router and the tethering is turned On.
5. If USB setting doesn't work and you get same error message. Reboot the router.
6. If you still get same message, elect Android. Apply settings and reboot the router.

Already did that... it doesn't solve the problem.

Good thing is that apparently ASUS is already working on it: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...or-isps-dhcp-did-not-function-properly.61907/

I understood what to do and already did it before opening this thread. It simply doesn't work. It shows the same DHCP issue

I doubt that's the same problem.

To test it you could kill the router's running udhcpc process and run the "new" command manually (changing eth0 to the name of your usb interface)
Code:
/sbin/udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -t1 -T5 -A0 -O33 -O249
I can give a try to it, thanks. How do I identify the interface assigned to the USB? Is there a cli command?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just type "ifconfig -a" and look at all of the interface names. It should be pretty obvious, probably starts with "usb".

Just type "ifconfig -a" and look at all of the interface names. It should be pretty obvious, probably starts with "usb".
I'm right now going to do it, this won't affect my main DHCP right? this is just affecting the USB connection right?
If somethign happens, is there a rollback or simply hard reset and load up config again?
Thanks

UPDATE:
I did it and I keep getting this, plus on WebGUI still shows the same message
Code:
sentinelvdx@RT-AC88U:/tmp/home/root# /sbin/udhcpc -i usb0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pi
d -s /tmp/udhcpc -t1 -T5 -A0 -O33 -O249
udhcpc: started, v1.25.1
udhcpc: sending discover

Last edited:
Any commands you enter are temporary until the router is rebooted.

Side note: It's probably best to use a different pidfile from the one currently being used by the WAN interface. So that's:
Code:
/sbin/udhcpc -i usb0 -p /var/run/udhcpc1.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -t1 -T5 -A0 -O33 -O249

UPDATE:
I did it and I keep getting this, plus on WebGUI still shows the same message
Have you enabled tether mode on the phone?

It may be a bit late in the game for this, but has the OP tried swapping out the cable he's using between his phone and router?

Any commands you enter are temporary until the router is rebooted.

Side note: It's probably best to use a different pidfile from the one currently being used by the WAN interface. So that's:
Code:
/sbin/udhcpc -i usb0 -p /var/run/udhcpc1.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -t1 -T5 -A0 -O33 -O249

Have you enabled tether mode on the phone?

Of course, I first connected it, enabled USB tethering and after that I did the command.
In fact if you don't enable it as USB tethering, it's not detected as USB WAN, so it won't show the DHCP error message

It may be a bit late in the game for this, but has the OP tried swapping out the cable he's using between his phone and router?

Yes, used the original and a secondary one. Same thing.

Using S.G.S9+ Duos w/ Tapatalk