What's new

Issue with Asus RT-AX88U firmware 384.13

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kamnosh

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,
Recently I purchased an RT-AX88U version which was replaced with the RT-AC66U as I had very good experience with it and all the features worked very well.
Assuming there is not that much difference between the 66U and the 88U, the new switch was configured like the old one on the official firmware then I discovered that it is much slower than a 66U.
Next step I chose to install Merlin version 384.13, the speed was much better but then other problems appeared:

1- I have connected a 4TB disk to the USB port on the router, and create some users with passwords to use by the family. but what I discovered that only my admin user can connect to Aicloud, the other users that I create can't connect to Aicloud.

2- Before connecting USB external hard disk RAM consumption is around 44% but once I connect the external hard disk RAM consumption goes up to 97% I have understanding that it should read disk but it never goes down, I waited for several days but still it is at 97%
Does anyone have suggestions for my problems?

With regards
Kamnosh

1) That's normal. For some reason, Asus never implemented multiple user accounts in AiCloud. Only SMB/FTP users are able to authenticate using user-created accounts.

2) That's also normal. Linux will aggressively use available memory for caching when you use a disk. That memory will simply be released if another program requires that memory. Best to have that memory be used to improve disk performance than leaving it unused.

In fact, SAMBA is my problem. FTP works well with user accounts that I create, but the same user can't connect to SMB, but on the old Asus router (RT-AC66U) it worked fine.

Last edited:
SMB and AiCloud are two different things. AiCloud is the web-based interface that provides remote access.

For SMB check the file permissions on your disk. Also make sure you allocated access permissions to the different folders.

And keep in mind that Windows's client does not allow multiple concurrent users to a single server (i.e. you can't connect to a share using admin and a second share using username).

User-based access is working fine for me with my own RT-AX88U, and an ext3 disk.

Here I have trouble connecting with the users that I create.
only administrator user can log in, all other users cannot.
The same user can log on to FTP but not Aicloud.

Attachments

• Aicloud.jpg
    Aicloud.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Here I have trouble connecting with the users that I create.
only administrator user can log in, all other users cannot.
The same user can log on to FTP but not Aicloud.

You are contradicting yourself. Are you trying to use AiCloud or SMB? Those are two totally different things.

As I said, AiCloud does not support user accounts, only the admin account.

I should just say that the PC I use is the same PC without any change I used against the old Router RT-AC66U and the disk connected to the new router is the same disk connected to the old router nothing changed only RT-AC66U replaced with RT-AX88U.
On the old router all users that I created could log on to the Aicloud web interface with the correct permissions on the disk and all the settings I made on the RT-AC66U router, to be honest I think there is firmware error.

Still I have the old router and when I plug it back everything works just as I want.

Regards
Kamnosh

Last night I tested a lot on both the old and new routers.
The version of the old router RT-AC66U is:
2019/06/10
All the functionality on it works very well and when I look at the configuration of SAMBA and FTP on both 2 is completely the same, after much testing I have come to the conclusion that there must be firmware errors.

Last night I tested a lot on both the old and new routers.
The version of the old router RT-AC66U is:
2019/06/10
All the functionality on it works very well and when I look at the configuration of SAMBA and FTP on both 2 is completely the same, after much testing I have come to the conclusion that there must be firmware errors.

I think you are right, but as you can see its ignored by the community ;)

I think you are right, but as you can see its ignored by the community ;)

I think he just wants to identify and solve the problem. ;)

OE

Let me just say one thing is to buy an expensive router which is firstly inferior to a previous version which is 66U and secondly does not get any help anywhere.
I had contact with Asus which I think they are hopeless after many email between us now recommend me to contact where I bought to get a new one.
I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue, it's a firmware issue that they won't admit.

but as you can see its ignored by the community ;)

No, it's simply hard to help someone who keeps changing the question. He asks about AiCloud, then says he's asking about SMB and FTP, and then posts a screenshot showing he's actually asking about AiCloud. Those are completely different things.

No, it's simply hard to help someone who keeps changing the question. He asks about AiCloud, then says he's asking about SMB and FTP, and then posts a screenshot showing he's actually asking about AiCloud. Those are completely different things.
Ignore Grisu, they don't even use Asus routers anymore, just seems to lurk here to post negative press.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!