What's new

Issue with my 2.4 ghz network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

howie411

Regular Contributor
Ok so not sure what is going on but I'm now at a loss. I had an ASUS AX11000 Router. Randomly throughout the day almost all my 2.4ghz devices would drop and then reconnect a couple minutes later (have about 22 2.4 ghz clients).
After months of testing and beta firmware's from Asus I ended up going out and purchased a TPLink AX11000 Router. The first day was rock solid, but today the 2.4ghz network dropped just as the previous router did.
Any idea what is going on? Is interference or something? The only thing I can think of is my Arlo (Camera system) uses a hub which is plugged in directly to my router but broadcasts it's own 2.4 ghz network to communicate with the Cameras.

Ok so not sure what is going on but I'm now at a loss. I had an ASUS AX11000 Router. Randomly throughout the day almost all my 2.4ghz devices would drop and then reconnect a couple minutes later (have about 22 2.4 ghz clients).
After months of testing and beta firmware's from Asus I ended up going out and purchased a TPLink AX11000 Router. The first day was rock solid, but today the 2.4ghz network dropped just as the previous router did.
Any idea what is going on? Is interference or something? The only thing I can think of is my Arlo (Camera system) uses a hub which is plugged in directly to my router but broadcasts it's own 2.4 ghz network to communicate with the Cameras.

If you turn off the Arlo 2.4 WLAN, does your 2.4 WLAN behave? Make sure these WLANs use different fixed channels so that they don't end up on the same 2.4 channel and interfere with each other.

Also, avoid using the router USB ports in USB 3.0 Mode as this can generate EMI that will degrade your 2.4 WLANs.

OE

If you turn off the Arlo 2.4 WLAN, does your 2.4 WLAN behave? Make sure these WLANs use different fixed channels so that they don't end up on the same 2.4 channel and interfere with each other.

Also, avoid using the router USB ports in USB 3.0 Mode as this can generate EMI that will degrade your 2.4 WLANs.

OE

Well not sure, The Arlo is designed to use the same channel as your router. You have no control over the Arlo Channel (can't even access any configuration or anything). So really to test it, I'd have to shut down the Camera's for a few days by disconnecting the Arlo Hub. No USB ports are used on the router currently. (Though there is an USB plugged into the Arlo usb port for local record).

Any chance you are seeing router reboots in the logs ? What does the system log indicate over one of these events ?

From what i read of the Arlo base station documentation, it is acting as a hardwired AP. How far away from the main router is the Arlo hub ?
Try turning off Auto channel selection in the main wireless router for the 2.4 GHZ band. You will want to do a wireless survey to see what interference is present from other 2.4 GHz radios to pick a different channel. (1, 6, or 11 usually in the US). Or just turn off 2.4 GHz if you don't need it for other devices.

If the Arlo is not using a base station, then the cameras are directly connecting to the wireless router 2.4 GHz band same as any other client.

It sounds as if the wireless router is trying to autoselect another 2.4 GHz channel to minimize interference. Turn that off and see if it stabilizes.

If all of the devices are successful in reconnecting, you may have to live with it.

Any chance you are seeing router reboots in the logs ? What does the system log indicate over one of these events ?

From what i read of the Arlo base station documentation, it is acting as a hardwired AP. How far away from the main router is the Arlo hub ?
Try turning off Auto channel selection in the main wireless router for the 2.4 GHZ band. You will want to do a wireless survey to see what interference is present from other 2.4 GHz radios to pick a different channel. (1, 6, or 11 usually in the US). Or just turn off 2.4 GHz if you don't need it for other devices.

If the Arlo is not using a base station, then the cameras are directly connecting to the wireless router 2.4 GHz band same as any other client.

It sounds as if the wireless router is trying to autoselect another 2.4 GHz channel to minimize interference. Turn that off and see if it stabilizes.

If all of the devices are successful in reconnecting, you may have to live with it.

The router isn't rebooting, its just the wifi dropping for a minute or two. There isn't any logs on either the ASUS or the TPLINK that show anything regarding the drops sadly.

The Arlo Hub is hard wired directly with the Router and is only a couple inches away. Last night I turned Auto off on the router and selected channel 1 for the Router, (of course the Arlo automatically switched to channel 1 too after that). So fingers crossed maybe the auto channel select was causing the issue.

two APs that close together ? Usually not good unless they are on different freq ranges or channels. If you have a longer ethernet cable, place them at least a few meters (7-10ft ) apart. Better yet, the Arlo would be placed where the main wireless signal strength drops to around -65 to -70 dB

What is the DHCP address lease expiration time in the main wireless router for clients and for wired clients ?

What is the channel width for the main router wireless on 2.4 Ghz ? 20/40/80 MHz ?

two APs that close together ? Usually not good unless they are on different freq ranges or channels. If you have a longer ethernet cable, place them at least a few meters (7-10ft ) apart. Better yet, the Arlo would be placed where the main wireless signal strength drops to around -65 to -70 dB

What is the DHCP address lease expiration time in the main wireless router for clients and for wired clients ?

What is the channel width for the main router wireless on 2.4 Ghz ? 20/40/80 MHz ?

So just taking a quick look at the TP-Link since I don't have the ASUS plugged in:

DHCP Address lease Time - 120 Minutes
Channel Width is set to Auto (Options are 20/40 if I went manual)

Checking the signal strength, I'm showing: my 2.4ghz at -53dbm on Channel 1 (Freq. 2412Mhz (20mhz) and for the Arlo I'm showing a dBm of -51 also at (Freq. 2412Mhz (20mhz)

Looks like the only way to get the Arlo base on a different channel is move to 20+ feet away from the router. I mean I guess I could move it to a different room, luckily my house has multiple ethernet jacks. I guess the question is that what is causing the drop. Or is it something else. I did switch the Router from auto channel to channel 1 today to get it off the same channel as my neighbors which was 6.

i would move the Arlo to another room that is closer to all the cameras. Since, apparently, you tell the camera to bind to the Arlo smart hub or base station, being on the same channel shouldn't cause issues for that side of things.
If you need more bandwidth for other clients on the main wireless router, you can switch to 20 or 40 MHz and see if the throughput picks up, particularly at the far edges of what the router wireless can reach. Otherwise, it may not matter.

You and your neighbor being on the same channel might have caused some issues. What is the signal strength showing for their 2.4 Ghz channel 6 ? If they are on Auto as well, it may happen again if their signal is strong in your house.

Last edited:
Thanks, according to an app I downloaded here is the 2.4ghz wifi in the area. Oddly enough when I selected 3 earlier it said that was a good channel, not its saying 11,12,13 and 14.

I also turned off my 5 google home devices today (just to remove a few more devices from the 2.4ghz network) to see if it was to saturated. Should I keep it where it is on 3 or try to move it to 11?

Attachments

• 20210529_203025.jpg
    20210529_203025.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 117
Everything but around ch 6 is -80 db or lower, which is good. Ch 11 may allow you to run wide, but you should try 20/40 to see if you get more reliable connection and higher throughput no matter if you move or stay.

Everything but around ch 6 is -80 db or lower, which is good. Ch 11 may allow you to run wide, but you should try 20/40 to see if you get more reliable connection and higher throughput no matter if you move or stay.

Thanks! I'll mess around with it and see what happens.

So I thought after switching the Channel 3 it solved my 2.4 disconnects, but sure enough today, it dropped 2-3 times. Here are my WIFI settings, anything else I can change? I've also moved multiple devices onto the 5ghz so only 15 devices are now on the 2.4ghz network. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• routersettings.PNG
    routersettings.PNG
    588.1 KB · Views: 104
Any other ideas?

Go w/20MHz channels, disable 11ax for a bit...

Kind of go back to basics, and then slowly turn things back on.

In professional - try disabling AirTime Fairness if it is enabled.

Ok so update. After setting all 3 of these items to disabled, and changing the channel back to Auto (knock on wood) no more 2.4 ghz connection drops. Not exactly sure what those 3 items do but obviously they seemed to have been causing an issue.

1624331244467.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!