What's new

Issues adding RT-AX92U as mesh node to ZenWifi XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SwedBear

New Around Here
Hi,
I have the ASUS ZenWifi XT8 mesh.-system set up at home (with 2 units, 1 router and 1 node). As my house is pretty big I wanted to get a third node. Unfortunately currently you cannot find a single XT8-router to buy here in Sweden so I decided to get a single RT-AX92U and use it as a node.

However I run into a issue adding it.

- The ZenWifi XT8-system and the RT-AX92U both have been upgraded with the latest firmware.
- The RT-AX92U has been factory-reset
- I placed the RT-AX92 about 1 meter from the ZenWifi XT8 router.

When adding a mesh-node from the Web UI it immediately finds the RT-AX92U and allows me to start adding it. However after a while (not sure which percentage) it fails saying it could not add it as a node. I get that error message you get (place it closer, make sure it is not already added to another system yada yada).

Anyone running this setup and have been able to add the RT-AX92U as a node? Or have had the same issue adding the RT-AX92U to another router with AiMesh? Got some suggestions what to try to get it to add as a node?

I choose the AX92U as it has AX but I can live without AX in one area of the house. If I get a CT8 instead as a node, am I correct to think that this node with handle the 2.4 and 5 GHz AC bands (in smart connect or without) while the two XT8 also still offers the second 5 GHz band? I use ethernet backhaul for all my nodes so opened up the second 5 GHz band on the XT8.

/Björn

Threads here suggest there are issues with the AX92U. I would try downgrading the firmware, reset, and see if that helps for now.

OE

Hi,
I have the ASUS ZenWifi XT8 mesh.-system set up at home (with 2 units, 1 router and 1 node). As my house is pretty big I wanted to get a third node. Unfortunately currently you cannot find a single XT8-router to buy here in Sweden so I decided to get a single RT-AX92U and use it as a node.

However I run into a issue adding it.

- The ZenWifi XT8-system and the RT-AX92U both have been upgraded with the latest firmware.
- The RT-AX92U has been factory-reset
- I placed the RT-AX92 about 1 meter from the ZenWifi XT8 router.

When adding a mesh-node from the Web UI it immediately finds the RT-AX92U and allows me to start adding it. However after a while (not sure which percentage) it fails saying it could not add it as a node. I get that error message you get (place it closer, make sure it is not already added to another system yada yada).

Anyone running this setup and have been able to add the RT-AX92U as a node? Or have had the same issue adding the RT-AX92U to another router with AiMesh? Got some suggestions what to try to get it to add as a node?

I choose the AX92U as it has AX but I can live without AX in one area of the house. If I get a CT8 instead as a node, am I correct to think that this node with handle the 2.4 and 5 GHz AC bands (in smart connect or without) while the two XT8 also still offers the second 5 GHz band? I use ethernet backhaul for all my nodes so opened up the second 5 GHz band on the XT8.

/Björn
It may be a misleading error message.

It certainly doesn't need to be a metre away to do this. It might be having the opposite result that you were expecting.

In my experience the adding process can be a bit hit and miss and doesn't always succeed first time.

My advice would be this:

1. Do another hard factory reset of the AX92 using the reset button on the rear.

2. Place the AX92 at least 10 metres away.

3. Connect to the AX92 and select the node option and start the process.

4. Connect to the XT8 search for the AX92 node and add it.

Use the Web GUI interface and not the APP. The APP is flakey at times and introduces it's own problems.

If it fails step 4, repeat step 4 or 3 & 4 if necessary.

Good luck.

In my experience the adding process can be a bit hit and miss and doesn't always succeed first time.

I believe you. But to add another data point, I've never not been able to add a node to my 2xRT-AC86U wireless AiMesh, from 1' to 77' away... always works since 03/2018.

OP: The process requires both radios working and requires and enables WPS... make sure it is enabling WPS.

OE

I believe you. But to add another data point, I've never not been able to add a node to my 2xRT-AC86U wireless AiMesh, from 1' to 77' away... always works since 03/2018.

OP: The process requires both radios working and requires and enables WPS... make sure it is enabling WPS.

OE
I once attempted to add a node when WPS was off and the adding process automatically popped up a notification stating that it was going to turn WPS back on before it proceeded. I'm guessing this is a standard feature.

I once attempted to add a node when WPS was off and the adding process automatically popped up a notification stating that it was going to turn WPS back on before it proceeded. I'm guessing this is a standard feature.

Yeah, I think you're right now. If you reset, add node, and then disable WPS, you never see this message.

OE

I have this exact configuration working. Set it up back around firmware 26044 (definitely pre-AiMesh 2.0). I experienced the same challenges you did at first, although my AX92U was easily 30 feet away from the main XT8 router. Didn't do any magic other that a few hard resets of the AX92U, and also keeping my phone pretty close to it.

I find that since the AiMesh 2.0 firmware releases, not as many clients associate to it, even thought the AX92U was the first to support AiMesh 2.0, prior to the XT8. But, it is properly connected to the mesh.

1616458940095.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!