What's new

Issues trying to figure out Wake On Wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Crymn

New Around Here
So I'm trying to figure out how to configure my Wake On Lan over Internet (I call it Wake On Wan not sure if this is correct) and I'm running into some problems.

I have a RT-AC87U running in AP mode, which I think might be the problem to some of these issues.
It might be good to know that a few days ago I didn't really know anything about this stuff.

So first I tried to enable my router access from Wan so I could send a magic packet from my router.
After googling some about this I found out it was a stupid idea.

Then I found this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...an-a-computer-using-script.29365/#post-278076

So I put this:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/arp -s 192.168.178.14 XX:4D:54:50:EC:XX

in the services-start script, I confirmed the script to be working as intented, but sadly this didn't work.
I think it might have to do with the fact that I forward my ports on my modem and have my router in AP mode.

So then I moved on the find another way to do it, seeing how I prefer to use my modem for my forwarding, because my modem can only be put in bridge mode if I contact my ISP.

On the same thread as I linked before I found a scripts that scans for activity on any (or specific) port(s).
1 script from an user in the thread, and other one from script on github linked in the thread:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/WOL-Script-Wake-Up-Your-Webserver-On-Internet-Traffic

I tried both of them but none of them seemed to work. I confirmed them starting by adding "touch /tmp/000wanstarted" to the scripts as said in the Asuswrt-Merlin wiki

This is the current setup that I have:
------------------------
services-start:

#!/bin/sh

sleep 1m

sh /jffs/scripts/wake.sh&
sh /jffs/scripts/arp.sh&
------------------------
wake.sh:

#!/bin/sh

touch /tmp/000wanstarted
/usr/bin/logger -t START_$(basename $0) "started [$@]"
INTERVAL=5
NUMP=3
OLD=""
TARGET=192.168.178.14
PORT=3389
IFACE=br0
MAC=XX:4D:54:50:EC:XX
WOL=/usr/sbin/ether-wake
LOGFILE="/var/log/ether-wake.log"

while sleep $INTERVAL;do
NEW=`dmesg | awk '/ACCEPT/ && /DST='"$TARGET"'/ && /DPT='"$PORT"'/ {print }' | tail -1`
SRC=`echo $NEW | awk -F'[=| ]' '{print $8}'`
DPORT=`echo $NEW | awk -F'[=| ]' '{print $27}'`
PROTO=`echo $NEW | awk -F'[=| ]' '{print $23}'`

if [ "$NEW" != "" -a "$NEW" != "$OLD" ]; then
if ! ping -qc $NUMP $TARGET >/dev/null; then
# echo "NOWAKE $TARGET was accessed by $SRC, port $DPORT, protocol $PROTO and is already alive at" `date`>> $LOGFILE
# else
echo "WAKE $TARGET requested by $SRC, port $DPORT, protocol $PROTO at" `date`>> $LOGFILE
$WOL -i $IFACE $MAC
sleep 5
fi
OLD=$NEW
fi
done
/usr/bin/logger -t STOP_$(basename $0) "return code $?"
-----------------------
arp.sh:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/arp -s 192.168.178.14 2C:4D:54:50:EC:10
touch /tmp/001wanstarted
-----------------------
The way I checked to see if the scripts work was to use this site: https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli
or try to RDP into them if I used the port 3389

I have tried forwarding port 7 and 9 on my PC's IP (forwarded in my modem)
I have tried forwarding port 7 and 9 on my routers IP 192.168.178.17 (I dont know why I set the ip to .17) (forwarded in my modem)

I tried running port scans because in the thread mentioned they said that should also work.
And I tested all those ports and configurations but none of them seem to work.

Now I think this might have to do with the fact that I am running my router in AP mode and everytime I run a port scan or send a magic packet it somehow doesn't get past my modem to activate the script on my router.

I have also checked running: /usr/sbin/ether-wake -i br0 XX:4D:54:50:EC:XX via an SSH client on my phone while my PC was off, this worked.

I know this is kind of a long post but I wanted you guys to know what kind of things I've already tried.

If any of you have any tips or ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You are correct in your assumption that neither of those techniques worked because the RT-AC87U is just an access point not a router.

Adding a static arp entry to your router by itself achieves very little. What you can do is probably going to be limited by the functionality of your router (not the RT-AC87U).

You are correct in your assumption that neither of those techniques worked because the RT-AC87U is just an access point not a router.

Adding a static arp entry to your router by itself achieves very little. What you can do is probably going to be limited by the functionality of your router (not the RT-AC87U).

Thanks for the reply Colin,
So the smartest thing for me to do would be to put the router that I currently use for port forwarding and stuff in bridge mode and let the RT-AC87U handel all that, correct?