What's new

Issues with 386.2_2 on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerq

Occasional Visitor
I installed 386.2_2 on a new Asus RT-AC86U and it is behaving weirdly.. I had cleaned JFFS and reset the router after the upgrade. All config was done form start.

1) I see random wifi device showing up under the wired interface.. i have nothing connected to wired interface...

2) Some devices are connecting and reconnecting frequently, specially those on guest network

3) I have setup 2 pi-holes on 2 different pi, and they seem to loose connection, but rotuer shwos them still connected. Router reboot fixes it.

I faced none of these prob;ems on my older Rt-AC68U that was also running 386.2_2. The config on both router is exactly the same ...

thoughts ?

I can reproduce all of the above on my test AC86U router with fresh original Asuswrt 386.41994 beta, the latest available. I would say don't trust the device list, it's not working well. As I understand it's an Asus firmware component and Merlin has nothing to do with it. I also have one AC66U B1 with me, similar to your AC68U hardware and running the same software. I can confirm the device list is much more accurate on this device. The entire UI on AC66U B1 is smoother and more responsive. Interesting.

Do you have an AP hard wired to your main router? A wireless device connected to the AP shows up as a wired device in this case. As far as I know, that's been like that for ever. Just asking for clarification. As I move around the house my phone or laptop will change from wired to wireless in the GUI depending if it connects to an AP or the main router. My downstairs thermostats always show up wired since they're closest/connect to APs but mu upstairs shows wireless. They're all wireless.

Thanks @Tech9 . The issue is not with device list alone.

I lose internet access also when the devices disappear from the device list ...

Today morning, the 5ghz disappeared, could log in usign the 2.4g and a reboot made the 5g reappear and work fine ...

@Smokindog : I am using this router only, no AP or any-other device connected to the LAN Ports.

Any suggestions on next steps?

When I install new firmware for testing purposes I use few reset methods to make sure I start clean. After new firmware upload first I do WPS reset and let it boot. Then I press the Reset button, let it boot and do the minimal configuration in Setup Wizard. Once the UI comes up, I do Restore + Initialize in Administration. Make sure your radios are fixed to common channels and don't jump around on Auto. I found my AC86U jumping into DFS channels on Auto. Use channels 1-6-11 for 2.4GHz and 36/149 for 5GHz. Disable all Beamforming except 802.11ac on 5GHz. Disable Airtime Fairness and MU-MIMO for both radios for better compatibility with older clients. I don't know what Asus calls Beamforming and MU-MIMO on 2.4GHz anyway. There is no such thing. If you find your radios Disabled for no reason (Channel 0 in UI and no LED light), think about RMA. Sounds like hardware issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!