What's new

Issues with Dual Wan Failback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vince Edwards

Occasional Visitor
I run a G-AX11000 with a PPPoE connection to Vodafone/CityFibre Gigafast 900. I therefore connect directly to Vodafone's ONT box. Vodafone supply a sim card USB stick as backup if the main connection fails. Naturally, I have set my router to Dual Wan with USB as the fallback. This worked fine when I tested it just as long as it was in 'Fail Over' mode. The only issue was that when I restored the full connection, the router didn't switch back to WAN, but remained on USB. I had to reboot the router to restore normal connection. In my router there is an option for 'Fail Back'. This is designed to reconnected the router to to WAN automatically after the USB connection is no longer needed. Unfortunately when I attempt to enable Fail Back the router ceases to distribute WAN through LAN. My devices cannot connect. This is odd, because I know the router is connected to the internet because it tells me it is and I can ping servers such as Google, the BBC and Facebook.

Why does this occur? The issue first appeared using ASUS firmware, but I get the same response with Merlin. I run iMesh, a VPN server and forward some gaming ports. These have never caused this kind of problem and I have systematically eliminated them as issues. Ideas please. :cool: