What's new

Issues with Merlin 388.2.2 on RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chewie420

Regular Contributor
Hello I am using an RT-AX88U and recently updated to merlin 388.2.2. After upgrading I noticed that my Google Nest Thermostat would lose its wi-fi connection. Rebooting device and router didn't fix the issue.

So I reloaded 388.2 and it hasn't disconnected again.

Can someone help me by letting me know what would have changed in the new version to have issues with that one smart device?

Thanks for any comments or help you can provide.

Are you running any addons like diversion, skynet, or unbound?

Some troubleshooting suggestions. Check the router to see what the WPA setting is. If set to WPA2/WPA3 try setting to WPA2 and test the wifi device. If the problematic wifi device uses the 5Ghz band check to see if the option "Auto select channel including DFS channels" is enabled under the Wireless > General >5Ghz page. If it is disable it, apply the settings and see if the issue persists.

Some troubleshooting suggestions. Check the router to see what the WPA setting is. If set to WPA2/WPA3 try setting to WPA2 and test the wifi device. If the problematic wifi device uses the 5Ghz band check to see if the option "Auto select channel including DFS channels" is enabled under the Wireless > General >5Ghz page. If it is disable it, apply the settings and see if the issue persists.

Hi thanks for the ideas I currently do not have Auto select channel including DFS enabled. I do have WPA2/WPA 3 enabled but always have before installing 28.2.2 Did something change that would make that not work anymore?

I did try using the WPA 2 only setting for 5GHz wireless. The Nest has not disconnected since.

Do you know if something was changed with WOA 3 as I used that settings for years and it worked fine until 388.2.2

I did try using the WPA 2 only setting for 5GHz wireless. The Nest has not disconnected since.

Do you know if something was changed with WOA 3 as I used that settings for years and it worked fine until 388.2.2
Lot of devices are finicky with that setting. Google may have updated the Nest and something possibly changed with its wireless driver.

Likely that stuff is closed source from Asus and Broadcom. You'd have to ask @RMerlin if something changed under the hood that isn't listed in the Asus-Merlin Change Log.

Just know that some IoT devices are, for what ever reason, picky about the WiFi settings and don't like the WPA2/WPA3 option the AX series of routers can use.

Likely that stuff is closed source from Asus and Broadcom. You'd have to ask @RMerlin if something changed under the hood that isn't listed in the Asus-Merlin Change Log.

Just know that some IoT devices are, for what ever reason, picky about the WiFi settings and don't like the WPA2/WPA3 option the AX series of routers can use.
Just really strange. I have no issue using 388.2 with the WPA2/3 setting.

Lot of devices are finicky with that setting. Google may have updated the Nest and something possibly changed with its wireless driver.
I would agree but it works fine if I use 388.2 so I’m thinking something changed in router.

same issue with my google nest hubs, i activated basic IPV6 support as per some advice on the google device forums, been steady now for 3 days without a drop on 388_2_2.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!