What's new

Issues with port forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jawsthemeswimming428

New Around Here
I'm having issues opening a port on my router (D-Link DIR 890L). I bought a NAS and am trying to set up a VPN but need to forward a port. Here's what I have done already:

1. On router, I go to Features -> Port Forwarding.
2. Click on Virtual Server
3. Add rule
4. Created a name
5. Put in local IP of NAS
6. Set protocol to UDP
7. Listed the random port I used for both internal and external port.
8. Set to Always enable.

When I use a port check tool online, it says it's still closed. I tried different port numbers. I tried using the Port Forwarding rule instead of Virtual Server. The router has been rebooted and I am on the latest firmware. My WAN IP shows on the router so I don't think I'm in a CGNAT. Any thoughts?

6. Set protocol to UDP
Most online port checking tools only test TCP, not UDP. UDP is a stateless protocol so unless the tester knows what type of service is listening on that port and how to communicate with it it won't get a response back.

Try changing your VPN server to TCP and see if you have better luck. And of course the VPN server must be actively listening when you do the test.

I will definitely try that when I get home. However, when I try to connect from a remote device to the NAS via VPN, it never connects. Went through settings on the NAS, router, and remote device a few times and they seem correct to the best of my knowledge. Is there a way to test if the UDP port is open?