What's new

Issues with running Cisco WRVS4400N as a switch.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

superjet

Regular Contributor
I'm expanding my home network and am trying to get away without buying any more switches. Here is the thread with my current network setup:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=16502

I'm trying to replace the downstairs switch with an old WRVS4400N running as just a switch. The firmware on that router is 1.19 and the HW revision is 1.1

I disabled DHCP, ICS, all the firewall stuff and connected it to the network via a lan port. After around 10 minutes my whole network starts acting funny and none of the tivos will connect.

I'm testing it in another part of the house right now, and it seems to work better with instead of DHCP disabled, having DHCP relay enabled on that router. Is this normal? I'm not sure what DHCP relay even does.

after messing around with this more, I gave up on using that router as a switch. Even with DHCP turned off and similarly with DHCP relay on, every device I disconnected and reconnected to the network was assigned an IP address in the range I had set for that linksys router.