What's new

It’s only a matter of time until someone…

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heysoundude

Part of the Furniture
The machines are coming for us

That's not a machine, that's a monstrosity!

Hmm, surprisingly clunky, and I would think it quite hard to patent/protect!

I initially posted this to see if anyone made the leap to installing it on a merlin router to be able to config and automate...as in, have a verbal report of, say, RTRMON statuses, or when something tries to breach SkyNet...these sorts of things.

"heysoundude, I've lost the ntpMerlin time reference. Shall I choose another to use?"
"heysoundude, my swap is often too full. would you like me to upsize it?"
"heysoundude, there are Merlin, amtm, diversion and unbound updates. would you like to schedule when I install and apply them?"
"heysoundude, I've lost WAN connection...my IP has changed..." etc etc

The machines are coming for us

All these LLM's are party tricks to impress investors...

There are good uses for machine learning, much like there are good applications for blockchains - all of the hype however is focused on the companies grabbing the cash...

So it's crypto-coins and AI... one has to ask, how much money has been made, more importantly, how much has been lost...

As PT Barnum mentioned - There is a sucker born every minute...

how much money has been made
By nVidia? Gazillions.
By OpenAI? Probably a fair amount. I know a software developer who pays for ChatGPT Plus as he finds it very helpful with his work. Lots of Microsoft money came in their pockets as well (and probably plenty of others).
By their customers? Ask again in 2-3 years once they've cut down on employees, or have noticed any real increase in product sales from incorporating AI elements.

To my complete surprise, even eM Client now offers AI composition features in their new v10 beta.

All these LLM's are party tricks to impress investors...

There are good uses for machine learning, much like there are good applications for blockchains - all of the hype however is focused on the companies grabbing the cash...

So it's crypto-coins and AI... one has to ask, how much money has been made, more importantly, how much has been lost...

As PT Barnum mentioned - There is a sucker born every minute...
I’m not concerned with money lost or made; it’s great that it’s changing hands, but we do have to try to make sure the few who already have plenty don’t end up with even more.

By nVidia? Gazillions.
By OpenAI? Probably a fair amount. I know a software developer who pays for ChatGPT Plus as he finds it very helpful with his work. Lots of Microsoft money came in their pockets as well (and probably plenty of others).
By their customers? Ask again in 2-3 years once they've cut down on employees, or have noticed any real increase in product sales from incorporating AI elements.

To my complete surprise, even eM Client now offers AI composition features in their new v10 beta.

Please don't get me wrong - ML and Blockchain Tech are great tech...

If you use the camera on your smartphone, one of the reasons why it does take great pics - yes, it's ML that does that...

If you're playing around with WiFi7 - guess what, inside the WiFi chipset, there's ML at play - because of the demands that WiFi7 (and backwards compat all the way back to 11b) - ML keeps things on an even keel.

Blockchain is similar - outside of crypto, it's being used over in the supply chain, both for HW and SW, to notarize and ensure that the parts and configs are as promised. That's just one application of Blockchain tech, there are others that have nothing to do with all the CryptoCoins...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!