What's new

It's teaser-time. Because why not.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
It's been two busy days, but work is almost done now on some new devices!

First teaser:

teaser0.png

Oh snap! Maybe time to finally get Google Fiber 2gig if it works with it.

10gbe port is a nice addition! Kinda wish whatever device this is had two of them as I don’t really see a practical purpose except maybe using a media server to a lot of wifi devices, but at least you can use a 10gbe switch and split off if you need that kind of lan speed. On HND models like the GT-AX11000 the only practical use of “10Gbe wifi” is having a lot of devices that might reach that speed in overall utilization?

Can’t bridge two routers and get those speeds because ai mesh is limited to a fat channel of 80Mhz, not using mesh and using say media bridge with some tweaks you can make a 160Mhz bridge but it’s still one or the other 80 or 160. Same for general wifi use of the 5ghz radios it’s only one radio that can use 160Mhz.

Rather unfortunate considering the tech specs seems to indicate in general use both radios can use 160Mhz which isn’t the case in real world use as far as I’m aware due to legal channel restrictions. Frankly the worlds first 10 gigabit wifi is false advertising except in experimental lab conditions that break the channel rules. Flimsy paper specs that consumers would never realize until after they purchase.

ED074BB5-1129-4950-A5AD-B8C35474648F.jpeg

Wonder if they at least upgraded the USB ports to usb 3.2 gen 2 ports which offer 10gbe. Somehow I doubt that.

6Ghz might have fixed this issue on newer routers but I’m not sure. Either way I feel a little salty about the issue on the ax11000, lol. Point is hopefully newer routers will make sense eventually with their port pairing.

Last edited:
2.5 Gbps WAN isn't new tho, the RT-AX86U was the first model to come with a 2.5 Gbps port.

Ah, it sure I knew that. But after looking into it, seems it needs to be an SFP WAN port i think.

It is nice to see it is a 10Gbps capable port, but is next to impossible to believe the router is a 10Gbps router.
Why not? The BCM4912 is capable of it, it has two built-in 10 Gbps interfaces.

You probably won't get 10 Gbps NAT of course, but you can use that for LAN traffic: aggregated LAN + wifi, or uplink to a 10 Gbps AP.

And I'd be curious as to what throughput one could get over IPv6 as it won't involve NAT, only routing.

Why not? The BCM4912 is capable of it, it has two built-in 10 Gbps interfaces.

You probably won't get 10 Gbps NAT of course, but you can use that for LAN traffic: aggregated LAN + wifi, or uplink to a 10 Gbps AP.

And I'd be curious as to what throughput one could get over IPv6 as it won't involve NAT, only routing.
I am not saying that it is an advance in the wrong direction, I am just not certain I would place too much stock in it yet. However, it sounds like something worth tinkering with.

Ooohh this is a nice teaser! :D

I am not saying that it is an advance in the wrong direction, I am just not certain I would place too much stock in it yet. However, it sounds like something worth tinkering with.
Unfortunately, I have no LAN client with 10 Gbps interfaces to benchmark things. I tried connecting two routers with 10 Gbps ports together and ran iperf on the routers themselves, but the CPU was bottlenecking iperf itself at 3.2 Gbps during that test.

Here's a teaser for a second router, before I head out to bed :)

teaser1.png

(Diversion users might like that one...)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!