1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

I've somehow broken my entware :-(

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by cmkelley, Nov 17, 2018.

1. cmkelley

cmkelley Regular Contributor

I know it was working, but I can't upgrade packages now. :-(
    Code:
    [email protected]:/tmp/home/root# opkg upgrade
    Configuring man-pages.
    Now we need to create a database...
    mandb: the setuid man user "root" does not exist
    Collected errors:
     * pkg_run_script: package "man-pages" postinst script returned status 1.
     * opkg_configure: man-pages.postinst returned 1.

I have no clue what I've done. Only recent change is I installed Diversion, but since other people aren't having problems with that, I'm guessing that isn't it.

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

My guess is you renamed your admin user from "root" to "ac86root". Try switching back to root to see what happens.

3. cmkelley

I didn't do that (or at least I don't remember doing it) on purpose. ac86root is (I thought) only the router login name, which I set with the webui, and it won't let me change that to "root".

Whatever I did to change it, I don't remember and I have no clue how to fix it. Any idea how to fix this short of wiping and reconfiguration from scratch? I've been googling for "asuswrt rename root" without success, so it must have been some brain-dead idea of my own thinking I was increasing security somehow?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The root/admin username is the same as what you set on the webui. If you can't set it back to root, then you will have to figure out which Entware file is trying to address the SUID as "root" and correct it.

amplatfus likes this.
  5. cmkelley

Ahhh, I see. It's mandb. So it's not that I changed the root user, it's that the entware mandb is looking for a user called "root", which asuswrt doesn't allow (at least not on the AC86U as far as I can tell). Since I don't know how to fix it, I'll just remove man-pages and man-db.

Was just trying to avoid opening a shell to another system just get a man page. :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018