What's new

I've somehow broken my entware :-(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmkelley

Very Senior Member
I know it was working, but I can't upgrade packages now. :-(
Code:
ac86root@ac86:/tmp/home/root# opkg upgrade
Configuring man-pages.
Now we need to create a database...
mandb: the setuid man user "root" does not exist
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "man-pages" postinst script returned status 1.
 * opkg_configure: man-pages.postinst returned 1.
I have no clue what I've done. Only recent change is I installed Diversion, but since other people aren't having problems with that, I'm guessing that isn't it.

My guess is you renamed your admin user from "root" to "ac86root". Try switching back to root to see what happens.

I didn't do that (or at least I don't remember doing it) on purpose. ac86root is (I thought) only the router login name, which I set with the webui, and it won't let me change that to "root".

Whatever I did to change it, I don't remember and I have no clue how to fix it. Any idea how to fix this short of wiping and reconfiguration from scratch? I've been googling for "asuswrt rename root" without success, so it must have been some brain-dead idea of my own thinking I was increasing security somehow?

Last edited:
The root/admin username is the same as what you set on the webui. If you can't set it back to root, then you will have to figure out which Entware file is trying to address the SUID as "root" and correct it.

Ahhh, I see. It's mandb. So it's not that I changed the root user, it's that the entware mandb is looking for a user called "root", which asuswrt doesn't allow (at least not on the AC86U as far as I can tell). Since I don't know how to fix it, I'll just remove man-pages and man-db.

Was just trying to avoid opening a shell to another system just get a man page. :)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!