What's new

Jumbo Frame Packets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I know the 3200 does. I wonder how relevant they are these days. Sure can increase max throughout but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumbo frames are not needed with today's Ethernet adapters. Don't bother.

Jumbo frames are not needed with today's Ethernet adapters. Don't bother.

@thiggins - can I elaborate a little bit?

Modern switches, even those in SoC's for the AC class routers - this is transparent - an application can do path discovery for max MTU size from source to destination, and if jumbo works, the application will use it.

Some ethernet drivers - they may disable Jumbo, so that's the place to look - not in the Router...

Some ethernet drivers - they may disable Jumbo, so that's the place to look - not in the Router...
But on the router (well, John's fork - don't know about Merlin's latest) there is the option at LAN > Switch Control to "Enable Jumbo Frame", which is disabled by default. :confused:

Untitled.png

Code:
# robocfg showports
Switch: enabled
Port 0: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 2 jumbo: off mac: 00:01:5c:7a:fa:47
Port 1: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: a0:b3:cc:df:1f:cb
Port 2:  100FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 40:b8:9a:b4:3d:dd
Port 3:   DOWN enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Port 4: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 94:de:80:c5:79:52
Port 8:   DOWN enabled stp: none vlan: 2 jumbo: off mac: 00:00:00:00:00:00

But on the router (well, John's fork - don't know about Merlin's latest) there is the option at LAN > Switch Control to "Enable Jumbo Frame", which is disabled by default. :confused:

So turn it on and see...

Jumbo is only on the Wire - 802.11 is going to have smaller frames on the wireless side.

Maybe one day, if I'm really bored. But with only 2 wired devices I doubt that I be able the measure the difference.:D

I think this falls into the category of "who cares"...

I'm sure someone might - heck, it's a forum, but as long as things work, it's ok...

Remember also that jumbo frames will affect latency if you want to use apps. which are sensible to it (i.e. games, some vpn's, etc). But will increase throughput in large file transfers.
That was indeed my experience with it.

Sent from SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

As long as the path between two points supports it - this is MTU path discovery - and it works very well...
Oh I know bro. I'm just saying that all Asus routers since the N66U support Jumbo frames.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited: