What's new

Jumbo frames

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bloodymeli

New Around Here
Hello,

Sorry for the really dumb question.
My network configuration is Trend-Net TEW633GR, LinkSys Linkstation Pro, and Intel 82597V Gigabit adapter (Intel DH67GB board).
A few more wireless devices (cell phones and a laptop) are also connected to the router.
As far as I know, all the wired components supports Jumbo frames (9K). I would like to enable it this feature but I'm concerned that:
A) Won't the internet connection be affected?
B) Won't the wireless devices (especially the laptop) performenace be degraded? I'm especially worried for the performance when reading files from the LinkStation Pro external HD.

What's your opinion regarding the two questions? Shall I enable this feature?

No, everything works fine don't worry about it. Make sure those devices that support JF = Jumbo Frames are set correctly though. If you use a Laptop with Gigabit connection but forget to change the Gigabit Jumbo MTU from 1500K instead of 9000K then you will not get the full benefit of JF. So check your adapter NIC = Network Interface Card settings under the OS that your using.

JF works more for LAN = local area network (sho = small home office or smb = small business) side. WAN = wide area network (internet) doesn't effect.

*** Optional Tweak for your Network on your OS
=====================================
As for the WAN side you can make sure your PCs are using what your pay for for downloads also how they access memory and CPU or NPU = network processor. Apps like TCP Optimizer help there. As most Windows PC out of the box are set to 3mbp. So if you are getting 50mbp from your ISP and your PC is set to 3mbp you can clearly see the bottleneck. So best to correct this value. Changing these setting won't harm your Wired or WiFi settings. Just make the DL = download and UL = Upload seem to run a bit smoother.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!