What's new

Just got myself RT-AC3100 - have quick question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SmallNetGuy

Regular Contributor
I just managed to grab the last one of the shelve in my local BestBuy. BestBuy Canada is currently having Labour Day sale, and I've found RT-AC3100 for $279.99 CAD (not refurbished, brand new). Had some store credit from before, and basically paid this router $120 CAD only. I believe it was a great deal.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...protection-rt-ac3100-rt-ac3100/10399527.aspx?

I am attaching a photo of the label with H/W and F/W information here:
kxlwgo7.jpg

I've had my RT-AC68U for so long and have had zero problems with it. I was super happy with it, until it finally died. I was happy especially because I've had Merlin firmware on it from the day one I brought it from the store. I actually never even tried official ASUS firmware :)

My question - I see that firmware installed on it, is quite few versions behind now. Should I update it to the latest official ASUS firmware (and is there any good reason for that), or should I go straight to Merlin's 380.68 ? Is it safe, does it have any known major issues, etc? I've always trusted Merlin's builds million times more than official ASUS firmware updates, and not doubting his amazing work on all this (Thank You Merlin a million by the way)... I am just trying to learn more, and find as much information as possible, before screwing up something. Still a n00b here, so please be kind :)

Any information is welcome and appreciated! Thank you everybody for trying to help

Cheers!

Last edited:
I don't have AC3100. I have AC68U. I have just bought it a month ago with stock fw 3.0.0.4.380_3264, older than your.

I just flashed Merlin 380.67. Rock solid! Almost 30 days in a row!

Hope I helped :)

Asus just released a new build for the 3100 and for me it works good. But it does have excessive system logging going on. Merlins latest 380.68 has mostly good reviews. It's really up to you. Both new builds have security updates. Good luck with your 3100 i bought mine back in November of 2015 and it's been a rock solid performer the entire time.

I don't have AC3100. I have AC68U. I have just bought it a month ago with stock fw 3.0.0.4.380_3264, older than your.

I just flashed Merlin 380.67. Rock solid! Almost 30 days in a row!

Hope I helped :)

Thank you so much for your input, greatly appreciated. Yes, before RT-AC3100 I had my trusty RT-AC68U with latest Merlin firmware. Rock solid, never even had problems with that router... well, until completely died :(

I was just wondering if someone with AC3100 and Merlin had any experience to share. Are people happier with MerlinWRT and found it more feature friendly than with stock ASUS, or does official ASUSwrt works better on this model for some strange reason... just want to make sure before i flush it.

Cheers!

Are people happier with MerlinWRT and found it more feature friendly than with stock ASUS, or does official ASUSwrt works better on this model for some strange reason... just want to make sure before i flush it.

Merlin firmware as you know has enhanced features but is also based on Asus stock firmware. Most like Merlin's build better. But if your just looking for a good router with out the extra stuff Asus stock firmware is ok to.

Asus just released a new build for the 3100 and for me it works good. But it does have excessive system logging going on. Merlins latest 380.68 has mostly good reviews. It's really up to you. Both new builds have security updates. Good luck with your 3100 i bought mine back in November of 2015 and it's been a rock solid performer the entire time.

Hey Jim, thank you for your reply. I'm also having high hopes for this "little" monster, but to tell you the truth, if it perform at least as good as my old and super trusty RT-AC68U, I will be more than happy. That router was rock solid piece of hardware (at least for me). I've had some Netgear routers, Linksys, even D-Link back in the days, and had nothing but constant problems. Since I've switched to ASUS (my first one was RT-N65U), I've learned dealing with routers can actually be a lot of fun and quite enjoyable :)

Yes, I was always on MerlinWRT on my RT-AC68U, never ever ran it on stock one. I just wanted to see if there is anything to be aware of before switching to MerlinWRT on AC3100. I mean, it's different router than AC68U, different architecture, so maybe there is something to take into account before doing this step.

Nope just flash set it up and enjoy. I have had the N66 the 68 and the 3100 liked them all..

Nope just flash set it up and enjoy. I have had the N66 the 68 and the 3100 liked them all..

Sure, that's what I'm gonna do. Can't recall if factory reset is needed after flashing Merlin's build over the ASUS official one. My AC3100 is still on that old ASUS firmware that can be seen in the photo I posted in my first post up there. Is it simply flash newest Merlin over that ASUS one, and set it up afterwards? Or is it that I have to flash Merlin's latest over the ASUS official one, and factory reset AC3100, and then set it up?

Thanks again!

First time I turned AC68U on, I did a quick set up with minimum configuartion, flashed Merlin and did a factory reset .... just in case.

Yes do a factory reset what ever firmware you happen to choose. Install reset and configure.

Yes do a factory reset what ever firmware you happen to choose. Install reset and configure.

Sure, thanks guys for your unselfish assistance! Greatly appreciated ;)

Have a wonderful night everybody!

I have an RT-AC3100 and use it as an access point only. Custom build merlin firmware and stripped out virtually everything that wasn't required for my access point. My firmware build is around 7.7 mb. It's running rock solid and I haven't any significant issues to report.

The RT-AC3100 runs very hot. You will find that some users believe the heat is not an issue but I have my concerns. I would recommend the cooler fan below for your router. Here are my temperature reading with and without the cooler:

To address my new RT-AC3100 high temperature readings I purchased a Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim cooling pad from amazon.com for $14.99.

Temperature readings without the cooler:

2.4 GHz: 47°C - 5 GHz: 54°C - CPU: 78°C

Temperature readings with the cooler:

Low range:
2.4 GHz: 38°C - 5 GHz: 46°C - CPU: 53°C

High range:

2.4 GHz: 39°C - 5 GHz: 46°C - CPU: 56°C

I have an RT-AC3100 and use it as an access point only. Custom build merlin firmware and stripped out virtually everything that wasn't required for my access point. My firmware build is around 7.7 mb. It's running rock solid and I haven't any significant issues to report.

The RT-AC3100 runs very hot. You will find that some users believe the heat is not an issue but I have my concerns. I would recommend the cooler fan below for your router. Here are my temperature reading with and without the cooler:

To address my new RT-AC3100 high temperature readings I purchased a Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim cooling pad from amazon.com for $14.99.

Low range:

High range:

Thank you, this is very useful info. I even ran my old RT-AC68U with a fan right in front of it. I actually never had any trouble with overheating, but I knew little bit more airflow won't hurt at all. My AC3100 has exactly the same temps like in your first line-up (without the cooler). I've read somewhere in these forums, those temps are perfectly fine for this router. Anyway, I just moved it right next to my PC case. How I set everything up in my room, PC case back is actually facing my router. Even that single exhaust fan at the back gives it enough cool air that I've noticed CPU temperature going down 1-4 degrees.

gkX4BaFg.jpg

Sure, one of those laptop coolers should work even better, my local Canada Computers store has plenty to chose from: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=1_380_718&sort=3a

...some less, some more expensive.

Cheers!

Low range:

High range:

I got the ac87 and 88 and both Got same temps
They are working fine on those temps
They should be able to get to 110 degrees with out problem
And they mainly stays stable at 80 degrees

Never got overheat problems
Also by using a fan you are creating more dust. So even when it does helps it decrease the lifespan of the router ( unless you clean it )
So only use it if you got problems with overheating. Else it just create a shorter lifespan as it is designed for high temps

Greets from PowerChaos
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I got the ac87 and 88 and both Got same temps
They are working fine on those temps
They should be able to get to 110 degrees with out problem
And they mainly stays stable at 80 degrees

Never got overheat problems
Also by using a fan you are creating more dust. So even when it does helps it decrease the lifespan of the router ( unless you clean it )
So only use it if you got problems with overheating. Else it just create a shorter lifespan as it is designed for high temps

Greets from PowerChaos
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Those temperaures you report are what I see too on my 87U, with highs around the 100 mark for busy times.
Nothing to worry about unless you go the way the other user supposedly did.
Removing heatsinks and such...

Also by using a fan you are creating more dust. So even when it does helps it decrease the lifespan of the router ( unless you clean it).

Yes cleaning is good. Not cleaning is bad. A little dust verses dropping temperatures significantly with a fan. I'm absolutely sticking with a fan.

Nothing to worry about unless you go the way the other user supposedly did. Removing heatsinks and such...

Yes removing heat sinks are bad. Not sure why someone would do that anyways.