What's new

Diversion kaltura.com blocked, but not in blocklist?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

_me_myself_and_i_

Occasional Visitor
The University of Connecticut has videos that are hosted on kaltura.com and Diversion is blocking them.

When I tail the log, I see these, specifically, are blocked:

ny-mediaspace.kaltura.com cfvod.kaltura.com cdnapisec.kaltura.com

When I try to whitelist, Diversion tells me there is no exact match. Forcibly adding them seems to have no effect. If I try to whitelist kaltura.com, I get:

kaltura.com was not found in blocking list(s), looking for near match(es): <list of 265 domains> none found in secondary blocking list Add near match(es) to whitelist? [1=Yes 2=No] 2 ____________________________________________________ kaltura.com was not found in blocking list(s) If you add it anyway, it may have no effect unless you select a larger blocking list. The domain will be marked #(forced-entry) and is not re-added to the blocking list if you remove it. Add it to whitelist anyway? [1=Yes 2=No]

I don't want to whitelist 265 domains, and I don't understand what "unless you select a larger blocking list" means.

How can I unblock just *.kaltura.com?

Just whitelist the exact domains that are blocked. Obviously, kaltura.com is not blocked or else you could not see their webpage.

Just whitelist the exact domains that are blocked. Obviously, kaltura.com is not blocked or else you could not see their webpage.
Thanks for the quick reply! I thought I tried that, but I must not have unblocked them all. I guess the strategy is to the log and add one-by-one until it works? I will try...

Can you clarify this output for me?
ny-mediaspace.kaltura.com was not found in blocking list(s) If you add it anyway, it may have no effect unless you select a larger blocking list. The domain will be marked #(forced-entry) and is not re-added to the blocking list if you remove it.
What does "select a larger blocking list mean"? Also "not re-added to the blocking list if you remove it"?

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought I tried that, but I must not have unblocked them all. I guess the strategy is to the log and add one-by-one until it works? I will try...
Exactly so.

Add the noted addresses one at a time, process the list and then go back in to monitor the blocked address by monitoring the LAN IP address for the particular desktop or laptop. When you have tracked down and whitelisted all of the blocked versions of xxxx.kaltura.com, you shouldn't see any more versions of that address that are blocked.

Add those specific addresses that are blocked. Don't add the near matches.

kaltura.com was not found in blocking list(s), looking for near match(es): <list of 265 domains> none found in secondary blocking list Add near match(es) to whitelist? [1=Yes 2=No] 2 ____________________________________________________ kaltura.com was not found in blocking list(s) If you add it anyway, it may have no effect unless you select a larger blocking list. The domain will be marked #(forced-entry) and is not re-added to the blocking list if you remove it. Add it to whitelist anyway? [1=Yes 2=No]1

So, yup, just add the single address, not the near matches. Follow the bouncing ball, process the list on exit and go back to monitoring for any other blocked addresses.

Now, having said all of that, I just went thru this last night with my daughters laptop. It would appear that the University of Ottawa uses the same xxxx.kaltura addresses for its video on demand services. Adding the blocked xxxx.kaltura addresses to Diversion's white list didn't do anything, the videos were still blocked. If you look up the video's error code it will tell you to clean out your web browser, as in cookies and any other site data that kaltura uses for its services. My guess is that there's been a change of address recently for some of its services, and the resident site data in the browser points to the old addresses. So, clean out the cookies and old site data that your web browser allows you to clean out. I also used CCleaner as well. After the cookies and site data cleanout thru the Options .... Privacy & Security controls in Firefox, and a CCleaner session, the videos were accessible.

One thing to keep in mind, from what I remember, Diversion has three (?) block lists, small, medium and large. (Someone please correct me if this is a little off). So, if you attempt to add an address to a whitelist, there's a good chance that its not on the small or medium block list if that is what you're using, so, even if you add an address to the whitelist, if its not originally on the blocklist, there won't be any difference. But, that address might be on the larger list, hence the warning that adding address might not result in any change unless you're using a larger blocklist. In any event, you can still add it to the whitelist if you prefer.

Last edited:
Add the noted addresses one at a time, process the list and then go back in to monitor the blocked address by monitoring the LAN IP address for the particular desktop or laptop. When you have tracked down and whitelisted all of the blocked versions of xxxx.kaltura.com, you shouldn't see any more versions of that address that are blocked.

Add those specific addresses that are blocked. Don't add the near matches.

kaltura.com was not found in blocking list(s), looking for near match(es): <list of 265 domains> none found in secondary blocking list Add near match(es) to whitelist? [1=Yes 2=No] 2 ____________________________________________________ kaltura.com was not found in blocking list(s) If you add it anyway, it may have no effect unless you select a larger blocking list. The domain will be marked #(forced-entry) and is not re-added to the blocking list if you remove it. Add it to whitelist anyway? [1=Yes 2=No]1

So, yup, just add the single address, not the near matches. Follow the bouncing ball, process the list on exit and go back to monitoring for any other blocked addresses.

Now, having said all of that, I just went thru this last night with my daughters laptop. It would appear that the University of Ottawa uses the same xxxx.kaltura addresses for its video on demand services. Adding the blocked xxxx.kaltura addresses to Diversion's white list didn't do anything, the videos were still blocked. If you look up the video's error code it will tell you to clean out your web browser, as in cookies and any other site data that kaltura uses for its services. My guess is that there's been a change of address recently for some of its services, and the resident site data in the browser points to the old addresses. So, clean out the cookies and old site data that your web browser allows you to clean out. I also used CCleaner as well. After the cookies and site data cleanout thru the Options .... Privacy & Security controls in Firefox, and a CCleaner session, the videos were accessible.

One thing to keep in mind, from what I remember, Diversion has three (?) block lists, small, medium and large. (Someone please correct me if this is a little off). So, if you attempt to add an address to a whitelist, there's a good chance that its not on the small or medium block list if that is what you're using, so, even if you add an address to the whitelist, if its not originally on the blocklist, there won't be any difference. But, that address might be on the larger list, hence the warning that adding address might not result in any change unless you're using a larger blocklist. In any event, you can still add it to the whitelist if you prefer.
Thanks, I got this working.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!