What's new

Keeping files in /root persistent between reboots?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
I'd like to keep some scripts in the default directory for ssh connections (I know it's just a link to /tmp/home/root, which is lost on reboot, but whatever files exist there must be copied from somewhere to /root on boot. (.ash_history, .config, .local and .ssh folders/files in my case)
What folders do Asuswrt Merlin copy these files etc from? I have a USB drive formatted for entware and /jffs enabled, but haven't yet found the same files anywhere else in the / tree.
Have looked at several created home folders or root folders on entware USB and /jffs, however no luck.

Thanks for helping me. ♥

Nothing in /tmp/home/root is persistent across reboots. Things like .ash_history and the .ssh directory are just created afresh the first time the appropriate function is used.

Nothing in /tmp/home/root is persistent across reboots. Things like .ash_history and the .ssh directory are just created afresh the first time the appropriate function is used.

Hm okay.
I wonder where I'd best install filebrowser.org (HTML based file browser, so technically a http server). /mnt/usb-for-entware/root perhaps?
the install script doesn't work, but they have an aarch64 build available to download and run manually. I've gotten it to work in Termux on my phone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!