What's new

Keeping Outdoor Powerline Adapter Cool

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyoffacliff

Occasional Visitor
I have bad WiFi signal in my backyard, and have been planning to put in a ground electrical box for portable hot tub wiring.

With Wireless Access Points, they have models designed for outdoor use. But there is no Ethernet cable in the yard. So I have to go over powerline, and I don't see any outdoor models. So I was planning to stick this in the electrical box to keep it dry. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSQAIQU/?tag=snbforums-20

But it gets hot outside in the summer in a closed box without ventilation. I don't know how big of an issue it will be, but I don't see a practical way to keep this thing from overheating.

Do you think it will be an issue? Any ideas? Do certain models run cooler?

Thank you

Powerline adapters tend to run hot. Powerline+WiFi even moreso.

Why not run an Ethernet cable when you put in the power box?

Powerline adapters tend to run hot. Powerline+WiFi even moreso.

Why not run an Ethernet cable when you put in the power box?

It would require digging another trench to a different location, and about 150ft of twisted pair cable, which would add to the cost a lot. I have some other powerline adapters that run pretty cool. I could use one of them, and put an outdoor WAP on one of the fence posts. Not sure how much that would help though for the cost and effort involved.

It would require digging another trench to a different location, and about 150ft of twisted pair cable, which would add to the cost a lot. I have some other powerline adapters that run pretty cool. I could use one of them, and put an outdoor WAP on one of the fence posts. Not sure how much that would help though for the cost and effort involved.
You don't need to dig a trench. Just cut through the sod with a garden spade and push Cat5e cable suitable for direct burial into the slit. If it gets cut sometime just replace the wire.

If one is doing a 150 ft run outside, be careful - before hooking things up, check your grounds - depending on the type of soil, and that you're also running power out there, ground potential can be a shocker (seriously, but I couldn't resist the pun)

I recently got powerline (The av2000). Not cheap but worth it both latency and throughput wise. One thing i noticed was that since the other adapter almost fell off the socket but was still powered, the adapter that was solidly in the socket got hot so make sure when you use them that they are stuck to the socket properly. Once everything was in order they didnt get hot anymore.

Electrical boxes are fine, make sure that they have a metal case and some ventilation. This may not be good for wifi but you could run a cable in a waterproof seal across to some shaded area where you put your wifi router on some ceiling or wall. Wifi routers generate more heat than powerline adapters and the distance can also influence heat as well as some powerline adapters may decide to up the tx power if they are further away.

In countries not around the equator where you have seasons, the best way to protect against summer heat is to cover things with a shade. So if you have an electrical outdoor box with metal for heat transfer, cover it with a shade but with space for air to flow. As long as the sun doesnt shine on it it will stay cool.

I have bad WiFi signal in my backyard, and have been planning to put in a ground electrical box for portable hot tub wiring.

With Wireless Access Points, they have models designed for outdoor use. But there is no Ethernet cable in the yard. So I have to go over powerline, and I don't see any outdoor models. So I was planning to stick this in the electrical box to keep it dry. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSQAIQU/?tag=snbforums-20

But it gets hot outside in the summer in a closed box without ventilation. I don't know how big of an issue it will be, but I don't see a practical way to keep this thing from overheating.

Do you think it will be an issue? Any ideas? Do certain models run cooler?

Thank you
Did you ever find a solution. Trying to connect a camera using powerline adaptor. It works great, but need to waterproof. I've been trying to find a gang box with cover that is large enough to hold the adapter but they are all about an 1" to short. Any ideas would be appreciated.

To the poster above^^ Arlington makes some cool outdoor low voltage boxes in different sizes. I've mounted a plug with an electrical box in mine for a security camera and Ethernet over power adapter.

Another option is an oversized electrical box (8x8x6 or so) made out of PVC. Lots of options... just have to find them lol

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk