What's new

Keeping Trend Micro but preventing it from phoning home?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasarouter

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I was wondering is there a way to keep Trend Micro protection and allow it to phone home only for updating ? It feels like a bit of a privacy invasion to have everything being potentially sent to Trend Micro and I even have my doubts whether this is even legal post-GDPR.

You either use their product, or you don't - there's no middle ground. You cannot benefit from malicious website blocking while preventing your router from contacting the Trend Micro Website Reputation Service to check for your visited URLs. WRS is a cloud-based service.

Almost any modern AV solution utilizes the cloud for real-time "filtering". The days of large DAT/Pattern files are gone.

A similar question... If I never used AiProtect, never accepted the Terms and Conditions and don't want to, so why did they take away (with the expanded EULA) the OTHER useful functions such as webhistory, QoS, Traffic Analyzer etc that were working just fine?

I'm not looking for any middle-ground or a way to play for free eg. get the benefits of Trend Micro's website reputation system without participating. I just want the other features back.

Now, if as hasarouter asks, his router is prevented from phoning home, I would assume that would ALSO prevent it from receiving, submitting, or accessing TM's WRS too so I'm not sure he's going to be able to play for free but he still might be interested (like I am) in getting what he paid for -functionality that works just fine without any need to phone home.

My browsing data has value and I decided not to trade that. I don't want to debate my reasons or the rationality of any security related trade-offs. I just want the same functionality they offered when I bought the router. Nothing more.

Software being what it is, it might be easier to get what I'm entitled to than it is to get ASUS to do the right thing.

How can I block/disable *all* Trend Micro related telemetry and services -including WRS ?

A similar question... If I never used AiProtect, never accepted the Terms and Conditions and don't want to, so why did they take away (with the expanded EULA) the OTHER useful functions such as webhistory, QoS, Traffic Analyzer etc that were working just fine?

I'm not looking for any middle-ground or a way to play for free eg. get the benefits of Trend Micro's website reputation system without participating. I just want the other features back.

Now, if as hasarouter asks, his router is prevented from phoning home, I would assume that would ALSO prevent it from receiving, submitting, or accessing TM's WRS too so I'm not sure he's going to be able to play for free but he still might be interested (like I am) in getting what he paid for -functionality that works just fine without any need to phone home.

My browsing data has value and I decided not to trade that. I don't want to debate my reasons or the rationality of any security related trade-offs. I just want the same functionality they offered when I bought the router. Nothing more.

Software being what it is, it might be easier to get what I'm entitled to than it is to get ASUS to do the right thing.

How can I block/disable *all* Trend Micro related telemetry and services -including WRS ?

Administration\Privacy\Withdaw will disable all Trend Micro features subject to their EULA. The EULA is the deal you've got... it is a living, evolving agreement, then and now. If you bought it then, you own it now, or withdraw.

OE

What's not obvious is why a feature that was not a TM feature has suddenly become one. Obviously, once that's happened, it's clear why it would be subject to the EULA.

The crux of the issue is that those features never depended on Trend Micro or any 3rd party cloud-hosted database. In fact, they're implemented in some form or fashion in nearly every router from $19 and up and have been for years. TM was never part of any of it -until this grab.

Adaptive QoS and the Web Analyser functions (and associated history) depend on TM's database to do their deep packet inspection. Without that it won't work. The older "traditional" QoS should* still work because it doesn't do DPI and is therefore not dependent on TM.

* I'm assuming, because I don't run this firmware.

What's not obvious is why a feature that was not a TM feature has suddenly become one. Obviously, once that's happened, it's clear why it would be subject to the EULA.

The crux of the issue is that those features never depended on Trend Micro or any 3rd party cloud-hosted database. In fact, they're implemented in some form or fashion in nearly every router from $19 and up and have been for years. TM was never part of any of it -until this grab.

Maybe it always was a TM feature but was not properly linked into to the EULA and firmware. ASUS recently updated the Privacy bit. Call it a grab if you want.

OE

FYI, the changelog on ASUS .com says this:

2018/07/18 Version 3.0.0.4.382.50702 [current]
- Modified the EULA for DDNS, AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Web history, Feedback.
- Added Privacy page in Advanced settings

Does anyone really believe that all of this functionality is coming from Trend Micro? I bought my router prior to this version and never had to accept the EULA. Got everything except AiProtection.

And from what others are saying, the loop through TM's servers slows things down and has other undesirable effects.

FYI, the changelog on ASUS .com says this:

2018/07/18 Version 3.0.0.4.382.50702 [current]
- Modified the EULA for DDNS, AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Web history, Feedback.
- Added Privacy page in Advanced settings

Does anyone really believe that all of this functionality is coming from Trend Micro? I bought my router prior to this version and never had to accept the EULA. Got everything except AiProtection.

And from what others are saying, the loop through TM's servers slows things down and has other undesirable effects.

Oh well. Write 'em a letter. :)

OE

That's actually what this is ;)
Nobody from Asus will read it. This isn't an official Asus web site.

Does anyone really believe that all of this functionality is coming from Trend Micro?
Well apart from DDNS and Feedback, yes it is. But that change log doesn't even mention TM or what was "modified" so I don't see what your point is. It's just a change to the EULA, it happens all the time. How many times have Google, Facebook, Microsoft, etc. updated their EULAs?

Nothing has been grabbed,nothing has changed other than an updated EULA to comply with GDPR.

Adaptive QOS has always used TrendMicro.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/qos-a-trendmicro-feature.43934/

I don't agree. I didn't buy a license to use IP and I didn't agree to hand over anything beyond the transactional cost -including my network data, unless I wanted to use AiProtect. I bought a product (hardware) with clearly articulated functionality and fitness for use that required no further concessions or additional payment. It was understood that neither the HW nor the FW nor the implementation of certain functionalities -especially those related to security protocols were bug free and these contingencies are contractually required to be remedied through the provision of a "warranty" which includes updates provided until EOL.

For those "ho-hum" folks that just accept whatever is heaped on later, you're actually part of the problem.

Although this isn't an official "Asus" support channel, and Asus *might* not be reading it, potential Asus customers are. SNB is referenced multiple times on Netgear sales literature and in their marketing communication. If people read this post and as a result, realize that they have a choice, they might change their buying behavior and if enough do, the marketing & analytics team in Taipei will eventually take note of it. It's much more powerful to discuss things in full view of the public than it is in a private communication which can be capriciously ignored.

UPDATE: I returned the device to Fry's. The most compelling part of my argument was the asus.com hosted router simulator itself. From this, the experience customers have is absolutely clear. The funny thing was that I really didn't get to discuss it much. The manager at that store said that they've already seen about 30 of these come back in the last few months for this exact reason. Not as many as I would have thought, but enough to imply that people are paying attention. They've been advised (probably by their GC) to RTV purchases made less in than a year to resolve this specific complaint.

Also, the FTC has a "file" specifically for cases like this -which if it grows might eventually turn into something that gets more attention. For the moment though, there aren't enough complaints to justify doing much more than keep track of how often it's happening. Too bad. maybe people think there's nothing they can do.

Well apart from DDNS and Feedback, yes it is. But that change log doesn't even mention TM or what was "modified" so I don't see what your point is. It's just a change to the EULA, it happens all the time.
The changelog doesn't mention TM but obviously the text of the EULA itself does.

The solution is to stop using retail routers with fancy plastic cases. Qotom has added a few new models last year. Spend a extra $100 and have complete control.

I don't agree. I didn't buy a license to use IP and I didn't agree to hand over anything beyond the transactional cost -including my network data, unless I wanted to use AiProtect. I bought a product (hardware) with clearly articulated functionality and fitness for use that required no further concessions or additional payment. It was understood that neither the HW nor the FW nor the implementation of certain functionalities -especially those related to security protocols were bug free and these contingencies are contractually required to be remedied through the provision of a "warranty" which includes updates provided until EOL.

For those "ho-hum" folks that just accept whatever is heaped on later, you're actually part of the problem.

And again you are wrong, you need to get your facts straight.
Nothing has been heaped on later.
I have been running my AC3200 since 2015, prior to that I ran AC87U's , NOTHING has changed, Adaptive QOS is running the same way now as it did 4 years ago.

Although this isn't an official "Asus" support channel, and Asus *might* not be reading it, potential Asus customers are. SNB is referenced multiple times on Netgear sales literature and in their marketing communication. If people read this post and as a result, realize that they have a choice, they might change their buying behavior and if enough do, the marketing & analytics team in Taipei will eventually take note of it. It's much more powerful to discuss things in full view of the public than it is in a private communication which can be capriciously ignored.

UPDATE: I returned the device to Fry's. The most compelling part of my argument was the asus.com hosted router simulator itself. From this, the experience customers have is absolutely clear. The funny thing was that I really didn't get to discuss it much. The manager at that store said that they've already seen about 30 of these come back in the last few months for this exact reason. Not as many as I would have thought, but enough to imply that people are paying attention. They've been advised (probably by their GC) to RTV purchases made less in than a year to resolve this specific complaint.

Also, the FTC has a "file" specifically for cases like this -which if it grows might eventually turn into something that gets more attention. For the moment though, there aren't enough complaints to justify doing much more than keep track of how often it's happening. Too bad. maybe people think there's nothing they can do.
The changelog doesn't mention TM but obviously the text of the EULA itself does.

All the features listed rely on Trend Micros DPI engine for packet marking, I'm not sure exactly what you're complaining about. You want to use their intellectual property without agreeing to their terms of use which they are enforced by government bodies to disclose.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Its like buying an iPhone and complaining you have to agree to iOS terms of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.