What's new

kernel: Argh. No free space left for GC error

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

programatix

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm running stock RT-N66U (3.0.0.4.382_51641-g46d2311) and recently I'm getting this error every few seconds,

Dec 7 17:01:02 kernel: Argh. No free space left for GC. nr_erasing_blocks is 0. nr_free_blocks is 0. (erasableempty: yes, erasingempty: yes, erasependingempty: yes)
Dec 7 17:01:03 kernel: jffs2_reserve_space_gc of 55 bytes for garbage_collect_dirent failed: -28
Dec 7 17:01:03 kernel: Argh. No free space left for GC. nr_erasing_blocks is 0. nr_free_blocks is 0. (erasableempty: yes, erasingempty: yes, erasependingempty: yes)
Dec 7 17:01:03 kernel: jffs2_reserve_space_gc of 55 bytes for garbage_collect_dirent failed: -28
Dec 7 17:02:02 kernel: Argh. No free space left for GC. nr_erasing_blocks is 0. nr_free_blocks is 0. (erasableempty: yes, erasingempty: yes, erasependingempty: yes)
Dec 7 17:02:02 kernel: jffs2_reserve_space_gc of 55 bytes for garbage_collect_dirent failed: -28

I tried to delete files in jffs2 but it seems like it is currently in read-only state.

I tried reformatting jffs2 using the commands I found in this forum posted by Merlin himself and the error disappeared. After some times, this error will reappear again.

I can ignore the error in the log, but I also noted that the unit would reset itself every once in a while and I'm not sure whether the 2 are related to each other.

Anyone can help with this?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!