What's new

kernel: br0 / eth2 messages

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Its RG-6 and the run is less than 100 feet. Pretty much a straight line from second floor ceiling to basement and the from basement to first floor. All vertical - very little horizontal movement.

Its RG-6 and the run is less than 100 feet. Pretty much a straight line from second floor ceiling to basement and the from basement to first floor. All vertical - very little horizontal movement.

The flickering light thing may just be normal for that particular model but you could try connecting the two spares to a short piece of coax to see if any different.

As I understand things, the MOCA bridge acts in lieu of a cat-5e wire connection. Therefore it connects from a LAN port on the router (in my case port 2) to the WAN port of the access point. The access point is connected to the main network via the WAN port, no? I googled it just now to confirm I am not losing it. How else would you get full functionality out of the access point?
Yes, that's fine. Now, not all MOCA bridges are equal specially the one connected directly to the router better if it's rated MOCA 2.5 as it's full duplex and if there is a coaxial splitter involved make sure it's rated up to 1675Mhz. I have all rooms in MOCA network working very well with GT-AX6000.

I have Hiton Moca 2.5 devices. And no splitter. Coax has no other signal but my Moca devices
I'm not familiar with the brand but observe if it's still unstable first thing to check is to make sure all the cables are firmly connected and not loose . If it still is unstable you might have to use another moca brand but first see if the hitron's firmware can be updated.

Last edited:
I’d borrow a pair of MoCA 2.5 adapters of another brand before burning too much more effort on it.
Saw that, thanks, and actually corresponded with writer last night. Motorolas not available anywhere, but I have two different brands (ASUS and another) on order from Amazon.

I’d borrow a pair of MoCA 2.5 adapters of another brand before burning too much more effort on it.

Related:

Generally I've seen Motorola and Actiontec as being considered the best (probably because they are heavily used by ISPs) but I have seen references to some ISPs using the Hitrons as well, so in theory they can't be total garbage. But who knows. When I first saw the name I was kind of assuming they were junk but it seems they're middle of the road.

Saw that, thanks, and actually corresponded with writer last night. Motorolas not available anywhere, but I have two different brands (ASUS and another) on order from Amazon.

I think if you get the Frontier branded Actiontecs you can get them pretty cheap, they can do up to 2.5G and have the ability to run multiple different frequency ranges over the same coax, so that may be one to look into. Given their wide use they seem pretty bulletproof too. Actiontec makes crappy routers, but pretty good modems (including MOCA).

One of the main benefits of them is they can connect directly to ISP Actiontec routers (with coax ports in them) but even standalone they seem like a good value and they're pretty commonly available new, used, and refurbished. Hopefully someone with more experience can confirm they can run as a standalone pair but I can't see any reason they wouldn't.

FWIW… The Frontier FCA251 and FCA252 MoCA 2.5 adapters are manufactured by goCoax, and, as you mention, are more than just a simple rebrand given the physical configuration toggle switches added.

They have actiontecs as well, those are ones I saw on amazon a while back. But the GoCoax is another brand that seems popular. Actually maybe the Actiontecs are FIOS but pretty sure I saw them with frontier badging as well. Probably can't go wrong either way, if they didn't work well in many situations, they wouldn't be using them. Less truck rolls is #1 priority.

They have actiontecs as well, those are ones I saw on amazon a while back. But the GoCoax is another brand that seems popular. Actually maybe the Actiontecs are FIOS but pretty sure I saw them with frontier badging as well. Probably can't go wrong either way, if they didn't work well in many situations, they wouldn't be using them. Less truck rolls is #1 priority.
FIOS used to use Actiontecs but since moved on to another brand. I got cr1000A made by wistron neweb(taiwanese) from them with 10G WAN and one 10G, two 2.5 LAN ports that is working very well in bridge mode.

Since I did swap of Hitron units, no issues for 24 hours. I will let it go through the weekend before I consider it solved however as my problem was intermittent.

Looks like it pops up once every few days. It's something I see in the logs but has no effect that anyone can see. Also seems to happen between 1 AM and 4 AM when it does happen. Not much internet usage then. But that could be random too.

Looks like it pops up once every few days. It's something I see in the logs but has no effect that anyone can see. Also seems to happen between 1 AM and 4 AM when it does happen. Not much internet usage then. But that could be random too.

That could just be ISP maintenance if it's the WAN port. That's the typical window for them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!