What's new

kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

siderophobic

New Around Here
Greetings,

My logs are being flooded by this error "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" and clients are not able to connect to the Wi-Fi.

I've read and tried a few things regarding this error like disabling NAT Acceleration, disabling Spanning Tree Control, etc. to no avail.

I am currently running RT-AC88U_384.19_0 firmware.

If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction I would deeply appreciate it. Thank you for your time. :)

Do you have any other switches, access points, repeaters, etc. connected to the router? It sounds like you have a network loop.

Does your computer (connected to the LAN port) also have a WiFi adapter? If so make sure it is disabled.

The RT-AC88U's LAN ports are split into two groups of four. Move the LAN cable to port 1 and see if the messages disappear. Then try the same with port 8.

Have you enabled any Guest WiFi networks?

Does your computer (connected to the LAN port) also have a WiFi adapter? If so make sure it is disabled.

Yes its a built in adapter from my motherboard and I just disabled it now.

The RT-AC88U's LAN ports are split into two groups of four. Move the LAN cable to port 1 and see if the messages disappear. Then try the same with port 8.

Yes its connected to port 4 i think, i just chose a random lan thinking that it won't cause any issues.

Have you enabled any Guest WiFi networks?

Yes again, when I had these errors in my log I tried enabling the guest network so my devices could gain access to the internet and they can connect to the guest network just fine. I just disabled it now.

So far after 1 hour doing everything you said, no errors so far. I will definitely update soon. Thank you so much for helping! :)

To add, i did a hard reset on my modem/router and i am currently behind double NAT. Thinking of living this for now as its not an issue for me atm.

Last edited:
Tough luck, looks like its happening again.

Code:
Aug 27 09:19:28 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(500): eth1: Auth F4:F5:DB:26:D6:AB, status: Successful (0)
Aug 27 09:19:28 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(529): eth1: Assoc F4:F5:DB:26:D6:AB, status: Successful (0)
Aug 27 09:19:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[626]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) f4:f5:db:26:d6:ab 
Aug 27 09:19:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[626]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.2.248 f4:f5:db:26:d6:ab 
Aug 27 09:19:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[626]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.2.248 f4:f5:db:26:d6:ab 
Aug 27 09:19:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[626]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.2.248 f4:f5:db:26:d6:ab MIMAX2-MiPhone
Aug 27 09:19:48 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(500): eth2: Auth 68:5A:CF:4D:35:DE, status: Successful (0)
Aug 27 09:19:48 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(529): eth2: Assoc 68:5A:CF:4D:35:DE, status: Successful (0)
Aug 27 09:19:56 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(466): eth2: Deauth_ind 68:5A:CF:4D:35:DE, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Aug 27 17:24:55 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 27 17:24:55 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 27 17:25:15 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 27 09:25:47 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(500): eth2: Auth 68:5A:CF:4D:35:DE, status: Successful (0)
Aug 27 09:25:47 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(529): eth2: Assoc 68:5A:CF:4D:35:DE, status: Successful (0)
Aug 27 09:25:55 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(466): eth2: Deauth_ind 68:5A:CF:4D:35:DE, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Aug 27 17:26:33 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 27 17:26:55 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 27 17:26:55 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 27 17:27:17 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

To add, i did a hard reset on my modem/router and i am currently behind double NAT. Thinking of living this for now as its not an issue for me atm.
If your modem/router has WiFi make sure that is disabled so that nothing can connect to it. See if that helps.

This exact problem was reported five years ago and at that time it was stated that only Asus could fix it. Very shortly after the messages seemed to disappear with a subsequent firmware update. It seems strange that you are seeing the same message so many years later. You might have to resort to doing a factory reset on your router and setting it up again (manually, do not reload a saved settings file).

Last edited:
If your modem/router has WiFi make sure that is disabled so that nothing can connect to it. See if that helps.

Yes that's already disabled for me.

This exact problem was reported five years ago and at that time it was stated that only Asus could fix it. Very shortly after the messages seemed to disappear with a subsequent firmware update. It seems strange that you are seeing the same message so many years later. You might have to resort to doing a factory reset on your router and setting it up again (manually, do not reload a saved settings file).

I was always factory resetting to the same firmware, do you mean i should go back to the original firmware? I am quite unsure how do i do that at the moment.

No, I was only suggesting that you factory reset your current firmware. I thought perhaps you hadn't done that for a long time, but if you've already done that there's no point doing it again.

Did these messages only appear after you installed 384.19? If so it would be worth going back to the previous version. Just install it as normal and then do another factory reset.

Did these messages only appear after you installed 384.19? If so it would be worth going back to the previous version. Just install it as normal and then do another factory reset.

Unfortunately, it happened randomly. I am using this router for 2 years now without any problems and then this. I didn't do any firmware upgrades or any sort. I just tried installing the latest firmware as a means of fixing the problem to no avail.

I was wondering if a hardware malfunction would cause this to happen? If so, i might just opt to find a new router or just use the modem/router.

Yes it could be a hardware issue. Sometimes simply unplugging the power from the router and leaving it for 5 minutes is enough to clear a fault.

My only other thought is that there's some sort of troublesome device connected to your network that is causing this. I would go around and completely power off (not standby) every client. And then turn on each device one at a time (starting with the wired PC) leaving at least 15 minutes between powering on each device. Check the router's log all the time to see if the messages are linked to one specific device.

Last edited:
Yes it could be a hardware issue. Sometimes simply plugging the power from the router and leaving it for 5 minutes is enough to clear a fault.

My only other thought is that there's some sort of troublesome device connected to your network that is causing this. I would go around and completely power off (not standby) every client. And then turn on each device one at a time (starting with the wired PC) leaving at least 15 minutes between powering on each device. Check the router's log all the time to see if the messages are linked to one specific device.

I will definitely try this one out. Thank you for this :)

I also found this in my logs today. "received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address"
It is not flooded with this but I have 15 or so over 24 hours.

In checking my DHCP log I see that I have 2 instances of 2 clients on the same IP address. One of them I understand .. it is an wireless access point but the other one I am not sure of.

Any ideas on this one?

Attachments

• 2 clients.JPG
    2 clients.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 410