What's new

Kid was on discord too much so blocked with opendns. Now I see freegate and let's encrypt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Debu

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
So my kid is a pretty good kid, but was on discord a lot. The school gives them a laptop and all of the homework is done online with microsoft office online type of stuff.

So, I blocked discordapp.com with opendns. Thought this should do it.
Then (And I'm kind of proud in a sense she found a way around it) using from what Merlin tells me "Let's Encrypt" and "Freegate".

Anyway, I just really want to block discord on her laptop over the network since I don't have admin on the school computer. It just seems she gets distracted chatting when her homework needs to be done.

Any ideas?

I know right. Trust me, if I could I would take it offline but I can't because it is all done online now.
That being said, kind of proud of her finding a way around OpenDNS!.
She is going to an IT magnet school where she has learned Javascript, and a game programming environment. I can't remember which one, but I think Unity.
I figured if she can at least get a taste of it early, she might have a good career down the road. Still proud the little thing figured out to use a VPN.
Now I feel old not knowing a good way to block that one....

Kinda like playing whack-a-mole. I wonder , could you just block all udp traffic to her Mac address ?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

You would need something that can identify signatures of IP traffic (snort?) to be able to block stuff like freegate (and all other proxy based web solutions). Freegate (dynaweb) let's a user who browses to there web page to surf internet thru proxys, so in a way you are running a TOR network connection over Freegate on https... Not that easy to stop, no...

You could try using CleanBrowsing DNS "Family Filter" instead of OpenDNS for her. It will block proxies and VPN. Of course, if she's smart enough to get around what you've already done, she's probably smart enough to bypass this too.

IMO it's time for good old fashioned parenting with consequences. Teaching moment here that just because you can doesn't mean you should, life does have rules, and breaking the rules does have consequences. Not all problems can be solved with technology. ;)

You could try using CleanBrowsing DNS "Family Filter" instead of OpenDNS for her. It will block proxies and VPN. Of course, if she's smart enough to get around what you've already done, she's probably smart enough to bypass this too.
Part of the problem is I use a VPN for work as well. I don't think I can do it based on MAC address.

IMO it's time for good old fashioned parenting with consequences. Teaching moment here that just because you can doesn't mean you should, life does have rules, and breaking the rules does have consequences. Not all problems can be solved with technology. ;)

I might just chat with her about it. It's a 3 day weekend due to the holiday. It's not the end of the world, I might just unblock it all and let her be.

Part of the problem is I use a VPN for work as well. I don't think I can do it based on MAC address.

You actually can - with a DHCP reservation you can assigned both an IP address and a DNS server. My kids' devices use different DNS than me using this method.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!