What's new

kmalloc-96 - Memory leak in Kernel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kvic

Part of the Furniture
Asus ARM routers. 380 series FW. Memory leak in kernel. Inspect by command line:

$ cat /proc/slabinfo | grep kmalloc-96

kmalloc-96 14311 15288 96 42 1 : tunables 0 0 0 : slabdata 364 364 0

Each slot in this pool is 96 bytes. The first number is the active number of slots. In the above example 14311 slots are active which translate to ~ 1341KB. On fresh reboot, ~ 900 active slots.

Didn't pay attention when I was on 378.55. So not sure if it's 380 series FW specific..

Anyone else see the leak on ARM routers with a 380 series FW?

A plot of # active slots against time at 5-min interval.

The router already up for a day when the sampling started. Hence first number is about 9000 active slots.

SS.png

This one probably needs to be addressed sooner than later...

There was a couple of security issues wrapped around similar items in the 2.6.35/36 kernels - credential leak and a possible exploit.

Router up time is one month.

Firmware 380_3264

kmalloc-96 963 2058 96 42 1 : tunables 0 0 0 : slabdata 49 49 0

Router up time is one month.

Firmware 380_3264

kmalloc-96 963 2058 96 42 1 : tunables 0 0 0 : slabdata 49 49 0

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have DPI (AiProtection, Adaptive QoS) and CTF turned on?

uptime: 10 days 12 hours 14 minute(s) 20 seconds

kmalloc-96 627 756 96 42 1 : tunables 0 0 0 : slabdata 18 18 0

USB, Guest, TA, AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, all off, CTF on

AC68U/Merlin 380.59

Asus ARM routers. 380 series FW. Memory leak in kernel. Inspect by command line:

$ cat /proc/slabinfo | grep kmalloc-96

kmalloc-96 14311 15288 96 42 1 : tunables 0 0 0 : slabdata 364 364 0

Each slot in this pool is 96 bytes. The first number is the active number of slots. In the above example 14311 slots are active which translate to ~ 1341KB. On fresh reboot, ~ 900 active slots.

Didn't pay attention when I was on 378.55. So not sure if it's 380 series FW specific..

Anyone else see the leak on ARM routers with a 380 series FW?

Probably would help to be more specific about how you got here - e.g. features enabled and in use - is there a USB drive attached, is the WebGUI up and running in a browser, etc...

Just saying there's a leak - could be anything... any good bug report will include the steps to reproduce in a consistently repeatable function - esp. with mem leaks like what you're mentioning...

Probably would help to be more specific about how you got here - e.g. features enabled and in use - is there a USB drive attached, is the WebGUI up and running in a browser, etc...

One day I was bored like you and looked at /proc/slabinfo. Saw kmalloc-96 is 'extraordinarily' high. Wrote a script to capture its value at 5-min interval.

USB storage on ext4. BWDPI on (AiProtection, Adaptive Qos, Traffic Monitor with App Analysis, but no web history). CTF on. RT-AC56U.

uptime: 10 days 12 hours 14 minute(s) 20 seconds

kmalloc-96 627 756 96 42 1 : tunables 0 0 0 : slabdata 18 18 0

USB, Guest, TA, AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, all off, CTF on

AC68U/Merlin 380.59

Thanks. Both of you have very good usage of kmalloc-96. Interestingly both with BWDPI off..

I recently rebooted my router after 17 days of uptime. There was only 20 MB of usage difference after the reboot, and a good portion of it is probably from data accumulated in /tmp over these 17 days, such as logfiles or temporary ASP files I bind mount on top of the ROM for development purposes.

I recently rebooted my router after 17 days of uptime. There was only 20 MB of usage difference after the reboot, and a good portion of it is probably from data accumulated in /tmp over these 17 days, such as logfiles or temporary ASP files I bind mount on top of the ROM for development purposes.

After moving to 380 series, my router never pass two weeks of continuous run..

I think this leak is proportional to browsing activities (anecdotal evidence from the plot), and might have to do with BWDPI.

might have to do with BWDPI

That's my thought as well..

The old kern bugs are still a concern - this is somewhat of a known issue if Broadcom/Asus didn't bring those patches in... stack smashing is always a nice lever to get deeper into a system.. e.g. exploit

That's my thought as well..

The old kern bugs are still a concern - this is somewhat of a known issue if Broadcom/Asus didn't bring those patches in... stack smashing is always a nice lever to get deeper into a system.. e.g. exploit

You could be right about the old kernel bugs.

I think I saw the ones you mentioned but I'm not exactly sure without going back and checking. There are a few major ones and performance enhancements. Most of them are corner cases though.

After moving to 380 series, my router never pass two weeks of continuous run..

I think this leak is proportional to browsing activities (anecdotal evidence from the plot), and might have to do with BWDPI.

I use Adaptive QoS, Apps Analysis, and Malicious site blocking. I got Web History and the other security features of BWDPI disabled.

This looks like glueing code for PolarSSL. It shall not impact asuswrt-merlin (?!)

It may be slowly killing my iPhone as their iOS app uses PolarSSL. I just upgraded to their new version (1.0.7 released 6 days ago...) this morning.

I was also browsing through recent OpenSSL commits today (was a slow morning at work), I saw a bunch of memory holes plugged there recently as well (most of these looked really silly to me).

At least it's still better to have memory leaks than security holes...

At least it's still better to have memory leaks than security holes...

It's good that folks are going in and doing maint work - it's a grind, but I think as a whole, it's gotta be done.

Mem Leaks can be security holes...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!