1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

L2TP/IPSEC Routing

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Matt Sears, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Matt Sears

Matt Sears New Around Here

I have an Asus AC RT68U router with the latest release of Merlin. I want to be able to run a VPN on it and have managed to set up a VPN connection using L2TP, I cant use Open VPN as it is blocked where I live.
    The connection I have made is fine, however all traffic passes through the VPN when it is connected.
    Is it possible in the settings to assign which connected items use the VPN and all the other connected items just use the router without passing through the VPN.
    From what I have read it is possible for Open VPN but as I have said I cant use this.

Thanks in advance

2. I don't have any experience with L2TP myself, but using the search I found this thread: Policy Based Routing
    Is that what you're looking for?

3. Matt Sears

Matt Sears New Around Here

Thanks for the reply. This is the sort of thing I wanted to do, but just wondered if there was an option in the firmware where I could just select which client route through the vpn and other clients bypass the vpn, as I dont want all traffic running through the VPN.
    I am not much of an expert with command line etc so was looking for an easy way of doing it.

Thanks again