1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

L2TP/IPSec VPN client?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Shasarak, May 17, 2018.

1. Shasarak

Shasarak Occasional Visitor

I'll hope you'll excuse the idiot-newbie question. :)

I've recently acquired an Asus RT-AC86U router, and am trying out asuswrt-merlin 384.5 on it.

Am I correct in thinking that is NOT currently possible for the router to establish its own L2TP/IPSec connection (as a client)?

It can do L2TP; but there's nowhere to enter a pre-shared key - so does that mean it's L2TP, but not L2TP/IPSec? And does that, in turn, mean that any L2TP client connection the router establishes will be unencrypted?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Correct. Asus started work on implementing client support, but they haven't completed it yet. So far they only recently finalized server support.

4. Shasarak

Shasarak Occasional Visitor

So, how likely is it that L2TP/IPSEC client support will be added in the future, and do we have any idea of timescale?

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

No idea. At times, Asus has started working on things, only to drop them mid-development for various reasons, so it's impossible to tell. The OpenVPN server spent close to a year in development before they started enabling it on a few select models for instance, while their Tor implementation was never finalized (I had to complete their work to be able to enable it).

TinMan11 likes this.
  6. wiz

wiz Regular Contributor

Well, I am in the process of getting a new router to replace my asus-RT N66u. I was hoping to see any development going on to have l2p/ipsec on the asus routers. Would it be possible to install strongswan on a thumbdrive and go from there? Originally I had Openvpn running that way prior to the point it actually got implemented in the firmware. And if that would be a starting point, is there any model that does the encryption in hardware to get some decent speeds?

7. unsynaps

unsynaps Senior Member

You have to get an 86U. Only Asus router that supports hardware encryption. Any other router is going to top out around 50megabit.

8. wiz

wiz Regular Contributor

thanks unsynaps!

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!