What's new

LAN cable interference from florescent fixtures.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChuckTin

Occasional Visitor
Our Cable Modem and Router live on a shelf that encircles half of our great room. Unfortunately the same shelf has several (4) four foot florescent fixtures on it and along side the Wan cable from the Cable Modem and the 4 LAN drops out to the bedrooms and the TV/Blueray console.
Eventually I mean to replace the florescents with LEDs. But in the mean while am I degrading the network signal in some way when the fixtures are on? I haven't seen any thing weird but I wouldn't know what to look for either.

That is the reason ethernet cables used twisted pairs. Any electromagnetic field created by the fluorescent fixtures will impose a voltage on a single wire. By using twisted pair, the imposed voltage is canceled out.

The coax cable feed uses a shield foil that is earthed on one end to provide equivalent protection.

The router and modem should be able to withstand a modest level of interference.

Distance between the lamp ballast or power module ( led or fluorescent) and the network devices is your friend as the electromagnetic field strength drops off rapidly as a function of distance. Even 12-18 inches is likely to be enough separation.

All of my network equipment is about 18-24 inches from some 24 inch fluorescents. I don’t see any issues.

Thanks!
The new router, Linksys AC 5000, has made WiFi more ... spritely (?). Today I'll see what the signal is like out in the barn, approximately 150' away.

That is a bit far, particularly if there are any trees or tall bushes in the line of sight.
What is the wall of the barn - corrugated metal ?

It is best to cross a florescence light at 90 degrees rather than lay along side using CAT cable. Any way this is what we did in the old days in large office buildings.

The barn is stud walls, 2x6, on a slab. Our AMBIENT weather station is on a pole strapped to the side and it hadnt8 any problem broadcasting back to it console in the house also I've been able to see and use the WiFi signal from the old Asus router there before. So I don't expect anything less just stronger.
I can't cross the wire because the shelf isn't wide enough.
Thanks.

For what it's worth: Wifi Analyzer reports this - (this Linksys has 2 5.0 radios)
In house 2.4 @ -32dBm, 5.0 @ -45 & - 34
In barn 2.4 @ -65, 5.0 @ -71 & -89.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!