What's new

LAN devices (PC/Phone) cannot Ping each other. Routers can ping every thing else.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cm268

New Around Here
Hello SNB,

I'm having a very tough problem I had been trying to figure it out myself without much success. I don't have a lot of experience in networking, only above the basic but I do use Linux, Windows, Servers and etc.

My small home network consist of 3 routers, the primary 192.168.1.1 is the router ASUS RT-AC86U MerlinWRT. It has DHCP within range .1.150 - .1.254. I don't use its firewall feature. I have an Archer C2600 connect to the ASUS RT-AC86U via wired ethernet to the LAN port, acting as some sort of wifi expansions. It has no DHCP and has a static IP of .1.20. I have another media bridge NETGEAR R7000 ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶x̶r̶t̶ (removed), connecting to ASUS RT-AC86U via Wifi AC and has a static IP of .1.19

I made sure no firewall are enabled between my device. Here's the problem description:
Most of my device are DHCP assigned IP within the range above, but some were manually assigned outside of DHCP range. The problem:

1. My PC wifi cannot ping my laptop wifi. vice versa.
2. My Phone cannot ping my laptop, my PC, and then vice versa (via wifi)
3. All of my PC/Phone/Laptop can ping the dumb IoTs (printers, routers) (via wifi)
4. All of my routers can ping my phone, PC, or laptop. (the expander, the media bridge as well as the primary router) (via wifi)

The problem is not reliable: sometimes when my PC suddenly see my laptop (it replies to ping, without me doing anything other than to let it ping for a while, sometimes they never see each other), then it will stay visible until I turned off the laptop, then turn it on. Then, sometimes it can see, sometimes it cannot see.

I installed Wireshark on my PC to see if my PC is sending ARP correctly, it does.
I tried to disable all other device, leaving just my PC and laptop. same problem as above.
I made sure the routing table is correct, in the router, as well as clients.

I'm at a total loss of how to diagnose this problem. I cannot think of any. I'd be very grateful if you can help me out.

Last edited:
I have another media bridge NETGEAR R7000 running xwrt,

Q: I'm having problems with Xvortex/Koolshare on my R7000. Can you help?
A: You are running an illegal firmware on an unsupported model. This firmware is in violation of the GPL licence, as well as several proprietary licences from Trend Micro/Tuxera and others. Contact the author of your firmware. You will not get any support here from me or the Asuswrt-Merlin community at SNBForums.

Apologize, I'm unaware of such fact. I'll remove and restore the firmware of the Nighthawk R7000.

But still this problem is about the routing of the ASUS RT-AC86U, not R7000 which was just acting as a wireless bridge. It wasn't important and I will switch to dd-wrt or stay with the original.

The problem persist even if I completely shut it down and remove it from my network.

Last edited: