What's new

LAN DHCP custom (option 43 and others)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zerbino

New Around Here
Hello, guys! I need your help!
I have Asus RT-AC88U and FW 384.5 . I want install WDS server on HP Microserver with Windows OS in my LAN. The necessary is to make some setup in DHCP server options.
Code:
Configuring the PXE Service point role consists of installing WDS and not configuring it, and after that enable the role for that machine.

You use the options when:
* You have an non-MS DHCP server
* When the PXE service point and the DHCP server aren't installed on the same server and you have multiple subnets.

B.t.w. the settings should be:

Option 43 01 04 00 00 00 00 ff (on non-MS DHCP servers, MS-DHCP server already have this options configured)
Option 60 PXEClient
Option 66 Boot server host name, (FQDN of PXE service point role)
Option 67 SMSBoot\x86\wdsnbp.com
Who can give me full information how to setup and edit configuration files on router to get this all working?
for ex. WDS server have name My-WDS, ip: 192.168.1.200, router user: user1, password: password1
Best regards, Alex!

Are you planning on doing pxe boot? Best bet is to just assign a static ip to it and reduce the dhcp scope to exclude that from the available dhcp addresses and access it by ip. Unless you are planning on doing something that requires those settings, most of them are not necessary in typical use.

And for the sake of all things good, please don't post your username and passwords in an online forum.

The dhcp server built into the router is pretty limited. If you really want to setup all of the options, you will need to disable dhcp on the router and run it on your windows server.

Thank you for answer :) user/pass is for ex. if somebody wrote me commands in shell for example.
About "limited" as i see, respectable Merlin done some options for WAN. And I thought that it, perhaps, allows scripts to configure and the parameters that I wanted.
I understand that I can do the way you wrote, but you also understand that these are crutches. The router is powerful, smart, the firmware is beautiful, I suspect that it is possible to do everything with the help of the router and its firmware.
I apologize for typos, I use google translator.

/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
is something new for me. I have no idea what this is and how it works :(.
Plus the answers in that topic are given with an emphasis on linux as I understood.
I will be very grateful if someone step-by-step helps me understand this. (And I perfectly understand what you might think and how you can react negatively to this request)

Last edited:
Used that video to make custom settings

1. Goto http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_System_Content.asp and
Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs -> Yes
Enable SSH -> LAN only

select SSH port as you wish.
Apply settings and reboot device.
2. Make ssh connection to your device (i use putty). Connection type SSH, router ip, your custom ssh port,
username and password as for GUI.
3. Type:
Code:
df -h
Make sure that /dev/mtdblock4 mounted to /jffs
4. Type:
Code:
vi /jfss/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
5. Press i to activate interactive mode.
Add write your settings like my ex:
Code:
dhcp-option=lan,66,192.168.1.200
dhcp-option=lan,67,Boot\x64\wdsnbp.com
dhcp-option=lan,43,010400000000FF
press ESC than press : and write qw and press ENTER.
6. Type reboot and after rebooting and configuring on server with IP from dhcp-option=lan,66, you will successful boot from LAN.

Best regards and thanks all :)

Used that video to make custom settings

1. Goto http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_System_Content.asp and
Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs -> Yes
Enable SSH -> LAN only

select SSH port as you wish.
Apply settings and reboot device.
2. Make ssh connection to your device (i use putty). Connection type SSH, router ip, your custom ssh port,
username and password as for GUI.
3. Type:
Code:
df -h
Make sure that /dev/mtdblock4 mounted to /jffs
4. Type:
Code:
vi /jfss/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
5. Press i to activate interactive mode.
Add write your settings like my ex:
Code:
dhcp-option=lan,66,192.168.1.200
dhcp-option=lan,67,Boot\x64\wdsnbp.com
dhcp-option=lan,43,010400000000FF
press ESC than press : and write qw and press ENTER.
6. Type reboot and after rebooting and configuring on server with IP from dhcp-option=lan,66, you will successful boot from LAN.

Best regards and thanks all :)
Hey, thanks for sharing my video. I was just browsing the forums and had to make an account to thank you for the shoutout.