What's new

Lan dropout

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hussain

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I just moved to a new house where I have done cat6 cabling. The house consists of three floors, The house is about 2500X 3 floors. The router linksys ea3200 is on top floor while the cable hub and dlink-1008a gigabit desktop switch is on ground floor. Each floor has 4 rooms that are wired with ethernet.

I am facing lan dropouts in all rooms also the maximum copy speed i am getting is 10MB/S.

What is wrong. Please help.

Thanks

Can you provide a drawing of your network?

Also, it will help to know what devices are copying what type of files and also how large the files are too.

Is the Cable Hub connected directly to the Router? And then the Router connected to the rest of the network? (You need at least two switches to do this properly).

Please post a schematic of your wiring to help someone diagnose your problem. Include cable lengths where possible.

Did you exceed 100 meters in length for any cable run?

Was the cable installed correctly as to the radius of bends, avoiding exposure to electrical wiring, etc? All runs need to be continuous as splices will always cause problems.

What type of terminations ( male - female ) did you do at the end of each cable run? If you did the terminations yourself how experienced are you and do you have the correct tools? If your installer did them was he an electrician or a data guy?

Did you you use the correct jacks and plugs for the type of cable you used? There are cheap jacks and plugs from China and better hardware from reputable manufactures. Not sure what the impact of using Cat 5e fittings on Cat 6 cable would be, but probably it should be avoided.

Will any of your cable runs pass higher speeds either 100 or 1000 Mbps?

Have you tested each cable run using at least an inexpensive tester to be sure all pairs are correctly pinned and all pairs have continuity? Preferably all ends should have been pinned 56B.

Give us a little more info and perhaps someone can help you solve your problem.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!