What's new

LAN printer hijacked?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Natey2

Regular Contributor
My home LAN printer (Canon Color imageCLASS MF644Cdw) at 192.168.x.x for a few weeks suddenly changed IP v4 address to 169.254.56.248 !
f0230c264678be601433dcdd9f78b183.jpg

I turned it off. Anybody know how this might have happened and whose IP that might be?

Sent using Tapatalk

My home LAN printer (Canon Color imageCLASS MF644Cdw) at 192.168.x.x for a few weeks suddenly changed IP v4 address to 169.254.56.248 !
f0230c264678be601433dcdd9f78b183.jpg

I turned it off. Anybody know how this might have happened and whose IP that might be?

Sent using Tapatalk

That happens if it cannot obtain an local IP from your router [emoji23] that’s a local network issue nothing to do with being hijacked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hyelton Thanks for the quick reply!
I was beginning to think someone got in via its Google Cloud Printer registration..

Sent using Tapatalk

@hyleton Thanks for the quick reply!
I was beginning to think someone got in via its Google Cloud Printer registration..

Sent using Tapatalk

I get that! It’s creepy. But yeah that’s a private IP generally because it had an issue getting an IP from the router. Your computer would also do that as well if there was an issue. Reboot your router and then your printer.

Generally it occurs on windows machines when it can’t obtain an IP address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's news to me... Google Cloud printing was one of the more useful features.

Sent using Tapatalk

Google. Master of dropped features. :rolleyes:

Might also want to give your printer a static IP then you won't get those messages :)

Might also want to give your printer a static IP then you won't get those messages :)
It was bound to a fixed local IP address via its MAC addeess. I had upgraded router firmware, rebooted, and added an AiMesh node to the network. The printer must have gotten confused and connected somewhere else.

Sent using Tapatalk

The printer was still not connecting to my 192.168.x.x address, until...

I turned off the AiMesh node it was connecting to (2.4GHz) !

So connecting via an AiMesh node is not as transparent as it should be, at least for this printer.

I can't turn off the 2.4GHz band on the AiMesh node (RP-AC55), and there doesn't seem to be a way to block individual devices from connecting to it :-(

Sent using Tapatalk

It was bound to a fixed local IP address via its MAC addeess.
Not the same thing as configuring a static IP. Good practice for devices like printers, switches, etc as the can still work as expected if there is a DHCP issue or other funky network problems. Clearly, there was a DHCP resolution issue in your network when the fallback IP was used by your printer. Just saying this can easily be avoided in the future.

Not the same thing as configuring a static IP.

Let me take a look at assigning the printer a static IP address. That may be somewhere in the printer settings/config?
I've always manually assigned specific local IP addresses to selected devices in my router settings, via the device's MAC address.

But that would still not eliminate the need to bind that IP address to the device MAC address, right?
e.g. what if there was a power outage, when power came back up, some other device that came onto the home network before the printer got DHCP-assigned the static IP the printer was set to use?

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Let me take a look at assigning the printer a static IP address. That may be somewhere in the printer settings/config?
I've always manually assigned specific local IP addresses to selected devices in my router settings, via the device's MAC address.

But that would still not eliminate the need to bind that IP address to the device MAC address, right?
e.g. what if there was a power outage, when power came back up, some other device that came onto the home network before the printer got DHCP-assigned the static IP the printer was set to use?

Sent using Tapatalk

It would eliminate the need to bind the IP to a MAC address as the printer never asks the DHCP server for an IP. Be careful when you assign static IPs using the device instead of the router to be sure the printer's IP is outside the DHCP pool and hasn't been either manually assigned or assigned by the DHCP server to any other device. Also when you look at list of attached devices on your router the self assigned devices will only appear sporadically on a list of assigned devices. To confirm a connection you might need to ping them and if they are capable of responding to a ping you can confirm they are attached.

A good plan, as long as DHCP is functioning. I do both. I set a static IP on the device and configure a set IP in the DHCP server just in case.

Assigning IPs works both ways however if you add VLANs to your network you can still lose track of devices. Down aide to everything.

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

Hi Natey2,

This is almost a year later (and what a year!!). Still, I hope you'll see this and might be able to help...
My friend also has a Canon MF644cdw printer and Asus AC68U router. I helped with the WiFi setup with his Mac mini. All works fine for a day or so, and then the printer refuses to print. Sometimes all-around reboots seem to work, but often even those fail to establish a working connection (BTW: The printer connects to the 2.4 GHz NET) - - then only a total resetting of both the Mac printer/scanner environment, and of the MF644 allows printing, but it doesn't last.
Has anything like that happened to you? Any advice you could share? Thanks in advance...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!