What's new

Lan static route

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Markfree

Regular Contributor
I have an NVR connected to my router and it acts as a DHCP server for its attached cameras.
So I configured my NVR to have its ip address as 192.168.1.200 and its DHCP network as 10.0.100.0/24.

At the router (RT-AC87u), I added a static route pointing to my NVR.

netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
10.0.100.0 192.168.1.200 255.255.255.0 UG 0 0 0 br0​

When I ping 192.168.1.200 or 10.0.100.1, it responds ok as a directly attached device should.

arp -an
? (192.168.1.200) at xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx [ether] on br0​

traceroute 10.0.100.1
1 10.0.100.1 (10.0.100.1) 2.842 ms 5.275 ms 8.611 ms​

But when I try to ping the NVR's attached cameras ip addresses, it just won't respond.

traceroute 10.0.100.101
1 * * *
2 * * *
3 * * *​

I can watch the cameras stream without a problem but not able to ping them.
Is there something wrong with my configuration or something else?

Thanks

Is there a comparable route on the NVR for the 10. traffic to find its way back to 192.168.1.x?

Smarter people than me will probably give more useful help.

I can watch the cameras stream without a problem but not able to ping them.
Is there something wrong with my configuration or something else?
Maybe the cameras don't respond to pings? Or maybe the NVR doesn't route ICMP packets. Either way, you can see the streams so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Dave, I think there must be a route back to the router or else I wouldn't be able to access the camera feed, but I'm not really sure about that.
Since the NVR responds to my pings, shouldn't it at least respond on the first hop of the traceroute for camera?

As for the cameras, Colin, they do respond to pings. I tested them individually. I don't know if the NVR routes ICMP packets but I'll ask the manufacturer.
I just wanted to test if the cameras were responding to pings consistently.
I believe I'm having too much packet loss, thats why I started looking into this.

What make/model is the NVR?

How are you watching the streams? Directly from the cameras themselves, or are the cameras feeding the NVR and the NVR is serving it up to your client? If it's the latter then I can imagine that there isn't actually any routing taking place at all on the NVR.

Last edited:
I have an NVR connected to my router and it acts as a DHCP server for its attached cameras.
So I configured my NVR to have its ip address as 192.168.1.200 and its DHCP network as 10.0.100.0/24.

Are you sure the NVR is capable of routing? Just because it has a DHCP server doesn't mean it can route packets.

I'm not sure the NVR is capable of routing. I'm inquiring the manufacturer for that.

Colin, I think you are right. The NVR might be serving the cameras feeds, not the cameras themselfs.

Anyway... I wanted to make sure there was no misconfiguration on my routers end and your insights were very helpfull.
Thanks guys.

If it's not capable of routing you'll have to use IP addresses within your router's subnet. In that case, perhaps vlan can accomplish what you want short of adding an additional router to the network.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!