What's new

LAN to Wireless Bottleneck?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tdashmike

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a RT-AC1750 B1 router. I've been having problems streaming to my Apple TV using home sharing. I've hooked up a computer to the router directly and the connection speed is reported as 1gb by the router and the computer. But when I stream to the Apple TV which is connected through 5Ghz, the speed reported by the traffic analyzer is only 3MB/s. Now if I move that same computer to a wireless AP in another room, the streaming speed goes up to 13MB/s, this wireless AP is also connected to the router's 5Ghz. I have also tried connecting a 2nd computer to the router through gigabit Ethernet and the copy speeds between the two computer are over 30MB/s. If I copy a file from that computer to a computer connected through the AP it is slightly faster at 9MB/s. It seems there is some sort of bottleneck from the LAN to wifi?

Last edited:
Did you turn off Airtime Fairness?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Just tried it, it made no difference though. Thanks, it looks like it's better to leave airtime fairness off anyways.

Hi,

I have a RT-AC1750 B1 router. I've been having problems streaming to my Apple TV using home sharing. I've hooked up a computer to the router directly and the connection speed is reported as 1gb by the router and the computer. But when I stream to the Apple TV which is connected through 5Ghz, the speed reported by the traffic analyzer is only 3MB/s. Now if I move that same computer to a wireless AP in another room, the streaming speed goes up to 13MB/s, this wireless AP is also connected to the router's 5Ghz. I have also tried connecting a 2nd computer to the router through gigabit Ethernet and the copy speeds between the two computer are over 30MB/s. If I copy a file from that computer to a computer connected through the AP it is slightly faster at 9MB/s. It seems there is some sort of bottleneck from the LAN to wifi?

Try with all the beamforming options turned off also as somewhere I read that they give wireless problems on Apple devices.

Not sure if it is still applicable these days but worth a try never the less.

I am running the same hardware (RT-AC66U_B1) with John's fork (35T3). Other than connectivity issues with DoT, which may be a problem with my ISP, there are no problems. Most of my equipment is old and I have the 5GHZ set to 40 MHZ bandwidth and have very good LAN to WIFI transfer rates.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!