What's new

LAN+WAN+NAS network configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vasily Zavyalov

New Around Here
hello all.

i have Synology DS916+ / WD MyCloud Expert4100 / Buffalo WZR-1750DHP-ME Airstation Extreme AC / Linksys LGS108 8 port switch / cat6 and cat7 cables. each NAS has 2 gigabit ports enabled running in aggregate modes. HDDs are WD RED and WD Blue. but in any configuration i can not get the transfer speed between NASs or between PC and NAS (wired) more than 20-30 mbs. any suggestions on network configuration?

MB/s or Mb/s ? WD red should be slightly faster than 1 Gb/s while WD blue would be about that speed. Newer versions will be faster.
What sort of aggregate mode is being used? Dont forget to defragment the drives as well.

Are the speeds the same for both NAS?

hello all.

i have Synology DS916+ / WD MyCloud Expert4100 / Buffalo WZR-1750DHP-ME Airstation Extreme AC / Linksys LGS108 8 port switch / cat6 and cat7 cables. each NAS has 2 gigabit ports enabled running in aggregate modes. HDDs are WD RED and WD Blue. but in any configuration i can not get the transfer speed between NASs or between PC and NAS (wired) more than 20-30 mbs. any suggestions on network configuration?
Link aggregation does not increase throughput for individual transfers.

Exactly...

and this has to do with how Ethernet and TCP/IP works - everything has to go down the same pipe...

Where LAG helps - capacity - two lanes vs. one lane - and putting this into lay terms - checkout at the supermarket - each lane can only go so fast - but each cart being checked out might be a different size - 10 items or less vs. the full cart of 40 items or more...

It does but it is highly dependent on the type of aggregration and the software. Its possible to get more bandwidth for individual transfers with certain types of bonding. Some bonding types can divide packets of a single stream over multiple links but there is a chance to break the stream if packet ordering is important.

I have used bonding a lot and seen packets nicely distributed over the links. If both the NAS and switch are set to use bonding (not sure if your NAS shows a few options for this) than a single TCP stream can be distributed over the links if the bonding method used requires both the NAS and switch to support bonding. Since both links have the same speed there is almost no chance for a TCP stream to be broken up with packets received out of order.

Ofcourse i will be testing this more with static bonding between my PC, switch and file server.

It does but it is highly dependent on the type of aggregration and the software. Its possible to get more bandwidth for individual transfers with certain types of bonding.
Yes, it's true it can work in some cases and with some OSes. But it's not simple to set up.

Theres really no harm in using LACP even on single transfers. If it cant balance between multiple links it would at least work with multiple traffic or in the future when you have more devices talking with each other.

It is absolutely crucial though that your switch supports STP.