What's new

LAN4 bad on ISP provied router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jimjoe123

New Around Here
I have a router provided by ISP. It have WIFI and (4)LAN slots. SO I use WIFI and all (4)LAN slots with cables.
Last few months internet service have been spotty. NO internet for few minutes then back ON again.
Untitled.jpg
on LANs, but WIFI works.
For some reason when connected to LAN4 slot(with cat5 cable), while PC shows this
Untitled2.jpg
, NO internet.
This is not DNS problem. It can not find websites requested.
So I disconnected cable from LAN4, so it is not used at all.
NOW devices connected (WIFI and (3)LANs) have internet with NO problem of showing
Untitled.jpg

So something about LAN4 slot that is affecting whether internet is ON or OFF.

Questions.
1. Anybody heard of LAN slots going bad on router? NEVER heard of it before. IF so, is it hardware? or software?
NO I didn't update firmware yet
2. IF for some reason LAN slots are bad, does that affect how router works? Does it cause
Untitled.jpg
?
Does not connecting to LAN4 stop whatever was causing
Untitled.jpg
?

So something about LAN4 slot that is affecting whether internet is ON or OFF.
Another forum member had the same problem. In his case it was caused by the PC connected to the LAN port having a faulty Ethernet adapter. That may be your problem or your Ethernet cable could be faulty. Try replacing the Ethernet cable.

What you describe does not, to me, sounds software related, but, unplugging the ISP router for a while and perhaps a reset to default would help of it is software related.

Ports do go bad, just like any other electronic part. Knowing the brand and model may point to other known hardware problems. Sometimes, as mentioned, it can be caused by other devices that typically create "noisy" connections and effectively overload the port. Unplugging all devices, then try one at a time may help pinpoint an issue, as well as replacing the cables with higher quality ones. Sometime too, it is simply oxidation, dust or dirt on the connectors?

Try some simple things to help eliminate some of these simple causes then talk to your ISP about swapping the unit if it persists.

Another forum member had the same problem. In his case it was caused by the PC connected to the LAN port having a faulty Ethernet adapter. That may be your problem or your Ethernet cable could be faulty. Try replacing the Ethernet cable.
I think you are talking about a particular PC (connected to LAN) not having internet. Sure it could be cable or Adapter.
BUT same (NO internet) happens when other PC or devices are connected to LAN4. So it must be something wrong with LAN4.
And like I said, when I stopped using LAN4(open), not all devices connected to ISP router get internet without any problems.

So my questions was can any LAN slot go BAD, and affect rest of router function? Hard to imagine LAN slot going bad, it's just a hole with connections. Maybe software of router affecting LAN4 to go BAD?

Before I posted my question I already DONE "obvious" troubleshooting.

Also could be a AC/DC power adapter going bad.

and, yes, ports or motherboards do go bad. Watch the sync and activity lights on the good and bad ports for unusual activity patterns or incorrect sync rate.

What you describe does not, to me, sounds software related, but, unplugging the ISP router for a while and perhaps a reset to default would help of it is software related.

Ports do go bad, just like any other electronic part. Knowing the brand and model may point to other known hardware problems. Sometimes, as mentioned, it can be caused by other devices that typically create "noisy" connections and effectively overload the port. Unplugging all devices, then try one at a time may help pinpoint an issue, as well as replacing the cables with higher quality ones. Sometime too, it is simply oxidation, dust or dirt on the connectors?

Try some simple things to help eliminate some of these simple causes then talk to your ISP about swapping the unit if it persists.
"it can be caused by other devices that typically create "noisy" connections and effectively overload the port"
Interesting point, I suspected that BUT few "experts" I talked to says "unlikely".
But "overload" seem to make sense. That's why when LAN4 is left unplugged, rest of devices internet have NO problems.

Anyway just another life's "curious" question. Life moves on.

Attachments

• 1643515212935.png
    1643515212935.png
    1 KB · Views: 86
Also could be a AC/DC power adapter going bad.

and, yes, ports or motherboards do go bad. Watch the sync and activity lights on the good and bad ports for unusual activity patterns or incorrect sync rate.
"AC/DC power adapter going bad" humm??interesting. I thought about that but don;t have another adapter so I can not test.
BUT how could adapter affect router performance. it can deliver LOW voltage, so what? Then either router works or not.

Have you replaced the cable that was plugged into LAN4?
YES I HAVE DONE THAT ALREADY. As I said I have tried typical common sense options already before posting my question. IF you READ my question, it is rather DEEP and particular question. I hope you would give me some credit and trust that I tried SIMPLE and OBVIOUS options..like trying new cables.

I was hoping somebody here with some DEEP technical brain about how routers work who can discuss why my internet is behaving badly. Perhaps router DESIGNER can reply?

YES I HAVE DONE THAT ALREADY. As I said I have tried typical common sense options already before posting my question. IF you READ my question, it is rather DEEP and particular question. I hope you would give me some credit and trust that I tried SIMPLE and OBVIOUS options..like trying new cables.
I did read your question and you never explicitly stated that you replaced the cable despite me asking you directly. I cannot assume that you thought this was "obvious".

As you insist on getting irate and SHOUTING I'm done with you.

I did read your question and you never explicitly stated that you replaced the cable despite me asking you directly. I cannot assume that you thought this was "obvious".

As you insist on getting irate and SHOUTING I'm done with you.
HUH? Why are you wasting your time replying? I am WAY BELOW your pay grade in knowledge. STOP. Find something better to do with your time. LOL
I am DONE here. Maybe get BANNED? who cares.

I was hoping somebody here with some DEEP technical brain about how routers work who can discuss why my internet is behaving badly. Perhaps router DESIGNER can reply?

Since it was working and is now not working after nothing was changed; and since you have removed all LAN connections to reduce the power load on the router and tried various healthy Cat5e or better Ethernet cables with various healthy LAN clients on the LAN4 port... and the trouble persists; then I would suspect "ISP router" hardware failure and would contact the ISP Tech Support to have them troubleshoot their router.

Or, you could stop using the LAN4 port or get a different router. If you need more LAN ports, install a switch.

Or, if you want to continue troubleshooting and know who the router designer is, contact their Tech Support for help.

Being banned from a forum is not something done to you... it is something you do to yourself.

OE